A question for all you Fog of War experts!

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

A question for all you Fog of War experts!

Postby super_dipsy » 14 Dec 2016, 08:35

I am currently trying out the new code base Fog of War functionality. I don't play FoW but I know there are some funnies about what you can / cannot see. Can an experienced FoW player save me some time?

First, I think you can always see an adjacent territory to one you occupy even if you cannot move there, yes? So for example a fleet Rumania can see inland. Is that right?

Second, I am assuming the same is true for coasts - so a fleet in St P South Coast can still see Norway?

Third, I am sure there is something about when you leave territories (or is it just SCs) you still see them your colour even if you are not adjacent unless they get conquered? Am I getting confused here? I'm sure there was some sort of territory ownership / colour thing even when you can't see it.

Fourth, anything else I have missed?

Thanks a bundle guys, it saves me crawling through the old code to see what it actually does!
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Re: A question for all you Fog of War experts!

Postby Bromley86 » 14 Dec 2016, 12:14

I'm not a big FoW player, but there's the fleet issue (wink:wink) that I'm sure you're aware of.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby joe92 » 14 Dec 2016, 12:33

Yes on all fronts. Can't think of any additional sight rules.

I find that third point quite useful when playing fog actually. Can position sparser units for defence and look for any territories that change colour to alert me to cover a supply centre.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1746

Postby ThorondorNL » 14 Dec 2016, 13:07

Yes you are right on all points. The third point is a very nice feature and it is true for all territories, not only SCs ;)
"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie."
ThorondorNL

Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1790)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Zubb » 14 Dec 2016, 14:36

Regarding #3. With SC you have actual sight of the territory as long as it is yours, so if an enemy units gets there and you have a look at the map before Build phase starts you get to know who got you. Non-SC territories just fade to gray immediately after getting captured.
Zubb
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1523
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT+3

Postby super_dipsy » 14 Dec 2016, 15:33

Thanks all. Back to the testing!
super_dipsy
Premium Member

All-game rating: 941

Postby ColonelApricot » 14 Dec 2016, 21:44

To be clear, sea provinces are always blue and land provinces are either coloured, neutral or gray. It is an inconsistency that invisible sea provinces are not gray; they should obey the rules of FoW just like land provinces.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 16 Dec 2016, 06:50

The one suggestion I'd have would be to change adjudication for support-to-move orders where the destination is a split coastline.

Namely, I think the automated judge should just fill in the move's coastline automatically behind the scenes.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jegpeg » 16 Dec 2016, 23:32

nopunin10did wrote:The one suggestion I'd have would be to change adjudication for support-to-move orders where the destination is a split coastline.

Namely, I think the automated judge should just fill in the move's coastline automatically behind the scenes.

While I don't play FoW I think the adjudication should be the same for all games, and this should not block legal orders. For example at present we have:

Turkey
Con to Bul sc
Russia
Rum S Con to Bul ec

Russia could be giving a deliberate misorder to he can still be friendly to Turkey without actually helping him.

Then consider what happens if the supports order's coastline is automatically filled in, Russia agrees to support Turkey from Con to Bul ec from where he will attack be in position to attack units around the Med, Turkey however would like to attack Russia

Turkey
Con to Bul ec

Russia
Rum S Con to Bul sc --> Order changed to Rum S Con to Bul ec behind the scenes.

If anything is done to prevent incorrect coasts being ordered it should only be where the unit moving can only go to once coast and it should then be clear on the GUI (e.g. if you are moving or supporting Mar to Spa you do not choose a coast and sc is applied as it is the only option, but if you are moving or supporting MAO to Spa you have to enter the coast). However here you come to a balance where you want to help prevent beginners from accidentally making an error (the equivalent of a badly worded order that has only one meaning) while at the same time allowing deliberate mis-orders from more experienced players.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 17 Dec 2016, 00:00

Jegpeg wrote:
nopunin10did wrote:The one suggestion I'd have would be to change adjudication for support-to-move orders where the destination is a split coastline.

While I don't play FoW I think the adjudication should be the same for all games, and this should not block legal orders. For example at present we have:

Turkey
Con to Bul sc
Russia
Rum S Con to Bul ec

Russia could be giving a deliberate misorder to he can still be friendly to Turkey without actually helping him.

Then consider what happens if the supports order's coastline is automatically filled in, Russia agrees to support Turkey from Con to Bul ec from where he will attack be in position to attack units around the Med, Turkey however would like to attack Russia

Turkey
Con to Bul ec

Russia
Rum S Con to Bul sc --> Order changed to Rum S Con to Bul ec behind the scenes.

If anything is done to prevent incorrect coasts being ordered it should only be where the unit moving can only go to once coast and it should then be clear on the GUI (e.g. if you are moving or supporting Mar to Spa you do not choose a coast and sc is applied as it is the only option, but if you are moving or supporting MAO to Spa you have to enter the coast). However here you come to a balance where you want to help prevent beginners from accidentally making an error (the equivalent of a badly worded order that has only one meaning) while at the same time allowing deliberate mis-orders from more experienced players.

My comment is limited to FOW, and it's more in respect to when you are taking a leap of faith and supporting a move by an unseen unit. Because the supported unit cannot be seen, you wouldn't normally know whether a fleet or army is there.

If you're already going out on a limb to assume that a unit is in the fog, it's an unnecessary additional risk to have your order be invalid because you got the coast wrong.

(Apparently the current implementation asks for a coastline when you select a support for a hidden fleet, which is a bug.)

Since the rules for support-to-hold are more coastline-agnostic already (a fleet in Finland can already support F stp/nc), it would not too far a stretch to allow coastline-forgiveness on support-to-move in FoW.

FoW changes enough about the game that sacrificing deliberate misorders in split coasts is a small price to pay.
Last edited by NoPunIn10Did on 18 Dec 2016, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions