Retreating and standoffs - territories with multiple coasts

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Retreating and standoffs - territories with multiple coasts

Postby MrShed123 » 09 Dec 2016, 14:49

Nice easy one I think!

If there is a standoff in (say) Spain south coast, can I retreat to Spain north coast? Or is the entire territory prevented from being retreated to?
MrShed123

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1176)
All-game rating: (1243)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Retreating and standoffs - territories with multiple coa

Postby super_dipsy » 09 Dec 2016, 15:39

No. Coasts are all considered to be part of the main province, so you would be destroyed.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Postby AngelEyesGBU » 09 Dec 2016, 15:42

The entire territory that had just been under a standoff, is unavailable for retreats.

Example:
FRANCE: F Por =►Spa(sc)(F MAO S)
ITALY: F Mar=► Spa(sc)
ENGLAND: F Iri=►MAO (F ECh S)

F MAO's support is cut; standoff in Spain; Spain (either coast) is unavailable for F MAO's retreat.
Gold member of the Classicists
Angel Eyes: But you know the pity is when I'm paid, I always follow my job through.
Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Blondie: You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
AngelEyesGBU

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1074)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Zosimus » 09 Dec 2016, 16:19

You can't move from Spain(nc) to Spain(sc) or vice versa anyway. They don't border on each other.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Standard rating: (1696)
All-game rating: (1730)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby marsman57 » 10 Dec 2016, 00:05

Zosimus wrote:You can't move from Spain(nc) to Spain(sc) or vice versa anyway. They don't border on each other.

I was confused about this myself for a moment, but then I realized that he was instead saying that maybe he was dislodged from Gascony, but there was a standoff on Spain (sc), would that still block retreats to Spain (nc). The answer is "yes" as stated above, but it is a subtly different situation than you were thinking Zosimus. :)
marsman57

Standard rating: 1118
All-game rating: 1128

Postby ColonelApricot » 10 Dec 2016, 02:43

My understanding of the OP is that he is asking whether the rule preventing retreat to an embattled province that has multiple coasts applies to the entire province or just a coast.

A unit can’t retreat to:
• a province that is occupied;
• the province from which the attacker came; or
• a province that was left vacant by a standoff during the same turn

The third bullet point identies the province as being ineligible for retreat, not the coast.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1415

Postby MrShed123 » 10 Dec 2016, 16:03

Thanks all. This is what I thought but appreciate the confirmation. Marsman yes that is what I was saying :)
MrShed123

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1176)
All-game rating: (1243)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions