support a supporter

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

support a supporter

Postby robbrad3 » 29 Jan 2008, 17:02

One of my opponents in a game I am playing made the following orders: A Mun S Kie H, A Boh S Mun.
I ordered A Bur-Mun and A Ruh S A Bur-Mun. My order apparently failed as I was stood off in Munich.

I was flipped through my copy of the Dip rules and didn't see anything about supporting a unit that is supporting another unit...is this commonplace and I just am unfamiliar with the rule? Thanks.
robbrad3

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: support a supporter

Postby mdmuff » 29 Jan 2008, 17:37

The army in Mun has a power of 1, plus the support issued to it to hold, = 2 armies

You attacked with your army (1) with the support of an additional army (+1) = 2 armies

So the orders offset. When a unit supports, it also holds it's own position.
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby behnam » 05 Feb 2008, 16:55

robbrad3 wrote:One of my opponents in a game I am playing made the following orders: A Mun S Kie H, A Boh S Mun.
I ordered A Bur-Mun and A Ruh S A Bur-Mun. My order apparently failed as I was stood off in Munich.

I was flipped through my copy of the Dip rules and didn't see anything about supporting a unit that is supporting another unit...is this commonplace and I just am unfamiliar with the rule? Thanks.

I think the question here is: Can you support a unit that is not holding?

The answer, to the best of my knowledge, is Yes, so long as that unit is not ordered to MOVE anywhere else. I remember this question coming up in a face to face game and we had to look it up in the rules. Since the destination for A Mun was Mun, then the support works. If the orders were A Mun-Ruh, A Boh S A Mun, then the support would fail, even though A Mun bounced back and stayed in Mun.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby Laurence » 11 Feb 2008, 00:41

Another point on this which I've only just sussed out is that if A supports B who supports C, then any attack by, say X, on B will cut the support of C. This will happen even if there is another supporter of B. Obviously B will remain, but C's support from B will be cut. This also happens even if X is attacked at the same time, say by D supported by E.
"You want simple, I got simple. You want complicated, I got complicated." (from "The Sleeper")
Laurence

Postby pickardj79 » 11 Feb 2008, 19:32

however, if C is attacking X, then X's attack on B does not cut the support. right?

summarize:
1) A supports B
2) B supports C
3) C attacks X
4) X attacks B

X attack of B does not cut support of B because B is supporting an attack on X. right?

now what if X's attack on B is supported, by Y? does this cut Bs support? B is not dislodged since it is supported by A.
now what if A is not supporting B and Xs attack on B is supported? in this case B is dislodged. seems to me that X and C win and B needs to retreat.

thanks so much
pickardj79

Postby behnam » 11 Feb 2008, 20:01

pickardj79 wrote:however, if C is attacking X, then X's attack on B does not cut the support. right?

summarize:
1) A supports B
2) B supports C
3) C attacks X
4) X attacks B

X attack of B does not cut support of B because B is supporting an attack on X. right?

now what if X's attack on B is supported, by Y? does this cut Bs support? B is not dislodged since it is supported by A.
now what if A is not supporting B and Xs attack on B is supported? in this case B is dislodged. seems to me that X and C win and B needs to retreat.

thanks so much

(2) should read "B Supports C attack X" otherwise B's support would not be valid.

I'm not sure if B's support is cut if X's attack is supported by Y. I don't think it is.

If B is dislodged, then X moves into B's spot and C's attack is successful as well.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions