22 Rules to Help You Resolve Orders

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Re: 22 Rules to Help You Resolve Orders

Postby Cautiouswatcher » 28 Nov 2013, 18:46

Probably a daft rookie question but...
If a unit in province X attacks province A, but is also itself attacked from province B, does the original attack (from X-A) have the effect of cutting any support that A is ordered to make to a seperate province C? I.e., can a unit effectively cut support from a second province if it is itself attacked from a third province or is it considered to stop its initial attack in order to defend itself?

Great site, great resources and many thanks in advance on this one...
Cautiouswatcher

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jaelis » 28 Nov 2013, 19:38

Cautiouswatcher wrote:Probably a daft rookie question but...
If a unit in province X attacks province A, but is also itself attacked from province B, does the original attack (from X-A) have the effect of cutting any support that A is ordered to make to a seperate province C? I.e., can a unit effectively cut support from a second province if it is itself attacked from a third province or is it considered to stop its initial attack in order to defend itself?

Unit X would indeed cut support at A (provided of course that A's support is not for the move B->X... you can't cut support for an attack on yourself.)

Note that A's support will be cut even if X were dislodged by B, and even if A itself received support to hold.
jaelis

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby c.tomlinson116 » 25 Feb 2014, 20:40

I recently bought the Diplomacy board game, so I decided that I would use the online games to learn how to play (since it's fairly in depth). In a previous game, I was being mentored by someone on the Facebook app and the following situation came up (I think I can post the actually provinces since it's not an active game).

I was France and I occupied the following places with fleets (GUL LYO, WES MED, and TUN). I was going up against Italy who had the following places with fleets (TYR SEA and TUS). The move I was going to make was:

GUL LYO move to TUS
WES MED move to TYR SEA
TUN support WES MED to TYR Sea

The person mentoring me said that it opens GUL LYO to being overtaken by TYR SEA with the following moves:

TYR SEA move to GUL LYO
TUS supports TYR SEA to GUL LYO

Based on the previous question, I think I now understand why GUL LYO would be dislodged (I originally thought GUL LYO would cut TUS support and TYR SEA would have to essentially hold and fight my guys).

My question then comes in what he suggested I should do. He said if I were to do these moves that GUL LYO couldn't be taken.

GUL LYO support WES MED to TYR SEA
WES MED move to TYR SEA
TUN support WES MED to TYR SEA

If Italy's moves were:

TYR SEA move to GUL LYO
TUS support TYR SEA to GUL LYO

OR

TUS move to GUL LYO
TYR SEA support TUS to GUL LYO

Wouldn't Italy have still taken GUL LYO? We discussed it for a while and I was still unsure of what the differences were in all 3 scenarios I presented.
c.tomlinson116

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Gelato » 14 May 2014, 18:26

Can a fleet support another ship convoying a troop? For example if a British fleet in the North Sea convoys from London to Sweden, and my fleet attacks North Sea from Kiel, the convoy will fail. But if there is another British fleet in the English Channel, can it support the convoy so that it cuts the cutting of support?
Gelato

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1417)
All-game rating: (1445)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WHSeward » 14 May 2014, 18:34

@Lirymambo

The premise of your question is incorrect, so the answer is a little tricky.

Lirymambo wrote:Can a fleet support another ship convoying a troop?
Yes.

Lirymambo wrote:For example if a British fleet in the North Sea convoys from London to Sweden, and my fleet attacks North Sea from Kiel, the convoy will fail.
That is NOT true. Merely attacking North Sea does not disrupt a convoy. The North Sea fleet must be dislodged to stop the convoy.

Lirymambo wrote:But if there is another British fleet in the English Channel, can it support the convoy so that it cuts the cutting of support
The supporting fleet does not "cut the cutting of support" but it does add its force to the North Sea fleet so that it would only be dislodged if attacked with a force of 3 (instead of only a force of 2 being needed if there was no support.)
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Palin » 14 May 2014, 18:36

Of course a fleet can support another fleet convoying a unit. However, in the example you mentioned, the convoy does not fail.

For a convoy to fail, the fleet must be dislodged, so a single unit cannot stop a convoy. On another note, Kiel does not border North Sea - something really good for Germany, might I say.
Sooner or later the man who wears two faces forgets which one is real... and thus a stabbing occurs!

Gold member of the Classicists
Palin

Standard rating: (886)
All-game rating: (800)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Palin » 14 May 2014, 18:37

WHSeward beat me to that... (Partially)
Sooner or later the man who wears two faces forgets which one is real... and thus a stabbing occurs!

Gold member of the Classicists
Palin

Standard rating: (886)
All-game rating: (800)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby WHSeward » 14 May 2014, 18:50

@palin - nice catch. I gotta read these questions more carefully. :oops:
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

WHSeward

Postby Gelato » 15 May 2014, 04:41

Can a troop support a coastal fleet moving into sea?
Or can it support naval fleet hold in water?
Gelato

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1417)
All-game rating: (1445)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WHSeward » 15 May 2014, 04:44

No. A unit can only support an action in a province it could move to. Since armies can't move to water provinces, they cannot support any action in them.

WHSeward

PreviousNext

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions