2 vs 2 but moving across borders

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

2 vs 2 but moving across borders

Postby neils » 23 Mar 2008, 07:55

Is it possible for armies in a 2 vs 2 situation to switch places as simultaneous attacks move to different spaces? Example:
France has army Belgium and army Burgundy. Germany has army Ruhr and army Munich.
France's orders are Belgium to Ruhr, Burgundy support Belgium to Ruhr. Germany orders Ruhr to attack Burgundy, support from Munich. Will the fact that Ruhr is leaving its space make it immune to the attack from Belgium, making it a 2 vs 1 in Burgundy with Belgium taking Ruhr, and Ruhr taking Burgundy?

I tried looking through the rules forum, but couldn't find a ruling on the same kind of situation. Any help is appreciated.
neils

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: 2 vs 2 but moving across borders

Postby brenton » 23 Mar 2008, 12:45

That one is an easy one.

Ruhr moves to burgundy. Ruhr also cuts the support from burgundy for Belg -> Ruhr. However, Ruhr is no longer occupied, so belgium can move straight in with a 1v0.

So, orders would look like:
Belgium MOVE Ruhr -> Resolved
Burgundy SUPPORT Belgium to Ruhr -> Support cut by A Ruh to Bur

Ruhr MOVE Burgundy -> Resolved
Munich SUPPORT Ruhr to Burgundy -> Resolved

What i think would be more interesting was if burgundy -> ruhr with support from belgium. I don't know what happens there, if it is 2v1 in both cases, whether it is possible for the two to do a direct swap.
brenton

Standard rating: (977)
All-game rating: (977)

Postby behnam » 23 Mar 2008, 23:49

brenton wrote:What i think would be more interesting was if burgundy -> ruhr with support from belgium. I don't know what happens there, if it is 2v1 in both cases, whether it is possible for the two to do a direct swap.

Nothing would happen in that situation. All 4 pieces would remain where they are. It is a 2v2 with all supports intact.
nil desperandum ; sempre vincenti

behnam

Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby revans » 28 Mar 2008, 03:53

Everyone's correct. And that's what is so neat when you're planning your moves. Yeah, it's 2 on 2, but a certain combo of moves could have you end up in a better spot than your opponent!

Sometimes I know a unit is going to get attacked, or their support will be cut and there's nothing I can do about it. So I just give it up and use it to move to somewhere else and use other units to support it. At least I'll get something instead of nothing by abandoning it and going for something else.

This kind of horrible situation happens a lot in the Balkans...
revans

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions