building

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

building

Postby filthycommi » 26 Feb 2008, 00:05

where can i build new units? only in my starting supply depots or in supply depots i capture as well? or any country that is my countries color?
thanks
filthycommi

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: building

Postby mdmuff » 26 Feb 2008, 01:20

Only in your original starting centers
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby BlackAdder » 26 Feb 2008, 01:25

Filthy,

You can only build new units on the supply centers that you start the game with. (Your home country).
You can only build new units on these supply centers if they are un-occupied. (No other units there at the start of the build phase.)

After the Fall Orders are executed and the retreat phase is complete, the year-end build phase begins. The number of supply centers you control at this point determines how many units your nation can support. You own any supply centers previously occupied at the end of any year, as well as your own starting supply centers. These will all be marked with your nations color.

If you own 6 supply centers, then you can have 6 units on the board. These get built/destroyed (disbanded) during the build phase. You cannot disband a unit in order to build a different unit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
BlackAdder

Timezone: GMT

Postby Namfuak » 26 Feb 2008, 06:07

Ugh, I wish I had known that before now. My entire strategy revolved around building an army in Rumania...
Namfuak

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby revans » 28 Feb 2008, 03:15

If you aren't able to build on an open home center (because it's occupied, or an enemy owns them) during a build turn, you can still try to build the next build turn if you still have more supply depots than pieces. I suppose you can even intentionally not build if you wanted to save it for the next year, or wanted to still look small and non-threatening.
revans

Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions