Support an Attacker Holding

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Support an Attacker Holding

Postby pickardj79 » 23 Feb 2008, 02:25

From a previous post we found it is possible to support a supporter (the supporter has an automatic hold if attacked - it's support is broken but a supported supporter needs three armies to dislodge it).

Is the same true of an attacker? I attack. I support my attacker. I don't support the attack (my country is not adjacent to the attacked country), I support the hold of the attacker (similar how you can support the hold of a supporter - see above). My attack fails so I get bounced. The country I attacked from is being attacked with a supporter (power 2). What is the power of my bounced attacker? Does my support go through for a power of two or is the support order invalid since the unit attacked?

B supports A Holding
A attacks X
W attacks X
Y attacks A
Z supports Y attack into A

Thanks
pickardj79

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Support an Attacker Holding

Postby w123 » 23 Feb 2008, 07:02

You cannot support the holding of an attacking country. You can support hold a territory doing a support or a convoy because while actions are done with those two actions, the units themselves are not trying to leave their spaces so thus they are "holding". So in your scenario:

B supports A Holding
A attacks X
W attacks X
Y attacks A
Z supports Y attack into A

B's support of A hold would fail because A is moving. A and W would stand off, and so X stays in place because of the stand off. A, stuck in its territory with no support, is then dislodged by Y's attack supported by Z. Any attempt at moving, whether it succeeds or fails, is considered movement for a unit, thus it is not holding, so it cannot receive any support for holding.
w123

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby BlackAdder » 24 Feb 2008, 17:55

Hey,

I'm a little confused, are you asking about a bug, or about a diplomacy rules clarification?

If something is happening in the game that contradicts the printed rules of diplomacy, please post a thread about it in the Beta board including a game name and specifics of the the event/bug.

If you are confused about the actual rules, take a read here and let us know with actual unit types and province names in your situation.

Cheers,
BlackAdder

Postby pickardj79 » 27 Feb 2008, 22:49

I was asking for a rules clarification, but I think I just found it on page 7. I find the rule book rather hard to decipher. A specific example would be:

turkey:
A bul-rum
A arm-sev
F black s arm-sev

russia:
A sev-rum
A mos s sev to hold

sev-rum and bul-rum bounce. does sev default to a hold after the bounce and gain moscow's support to bounce arm-sev as well? i think not but i wanted to double-check.

thanks.
pickardj79

Postby w123 » 27 Feb 2008, 23:01

In your scenario, Sevastopol would be taken by Turkey. Because Sevastopol even just tried to move, even though it did not actually move, it is not considered to be holding, so Moscow could not support Sevastopol to hold.
w123

Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions