Supporting

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Supporting

Postby Namfuak » 13 Feb 2008, 07:34

If I want to support an army (or navy), must I be adjacent to the country I am supporting and the country that I am supporting an attack on? For example, would APic Support ABel in attacking AHoll
Namfuak

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Supporting

Postby mdmuff » 13 Feb 2008, 14:53

They must be adjacent
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ham & Eggs: A days work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
mdmuff

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby w123 » 13 Feb 2008, 16:28

I will clarify how supporting works. In your example A Picardy could not support A Belgium to Holland. To support an attack on a territory, the supporter does NOT need to be adjacent to the attacker. However the supporter does have to be adjacent to the attacked country. For example:

A Berlin moves to Munich
A Burgundy supports A Berlin to Munich

This scenario works because the supporter is adjacent to the attacked territory even though it is not adjacent to the attacking territory.

Also, remember that a fleet cannot support an attack over land. For example:

A Picardy moves to Paris
F Brest supports A Picardy to Paris

This does not work even though Brest is adjacent to Paris because the fleet cannot give support when it can only reach the attacked territory over land.
w123

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Namfuak » 13 Feb 2008, 19:39

w123 wrote:I will clarify how supporting works. In your example A Picardy could not support A Belgium to Holland. To support an attack on a territory, the supporter does NOT need to be adjacent to the attacker. However the supporter does have to be adjacent to the attacked country. For example:

A Berlin moves to Munich
A Burgundy supports A Berlin to Munich

This scenario works because the supporter is adjacent to the attacked territory even though it is not adjacent to the attacking territory.

Also, remember that a fleet cannot support an attack over land. For example:

A Picardy moves to Paris
F Brest supports A Picardy to Paris

This does not work even though Brest is adjacent to Paris because the fleet cannot give support when it can only reach the attacked territory over land.

OK, I wish I had known the second bit for a different game :|
Namfuak

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Batsman » 17 Feb 2008, 14:32

The simple rule of thumb is:
If your unit could move there, it can support there.
Batsman

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT+10

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions