Time for a Rules Change

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby WHSeward » 30 Mar 2018, 00:20

SB, Hybrid & Nopun,

If you three want to play with screenshots, set up some friends or forum games, advertise them as such, and play.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that is going to improve the quality of the game, but don't take my word for it, go do it, and see how it goes. See how many people want to play, and see if you like it better. Then come tell us all about it.

In the meantime, it appears to me that you guys are proposing a change that benefits yourselves, but does not do anything to enhance the game and certainly disadvantages the vast majority of players, so it isn't going to go anywhere.

IMHO this proposal is DOA.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
User avatar
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: 29 Dec 2012, 22:16
Location: San Francisco, California, USA
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby Custer » 30 Mar 2018, 00:44

Agreed......
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
User avatar
Custer
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3182
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 20:29
Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1108
All-game rating: 1082
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Mar 2018, 01:53

WHSeward wrote:SB, Hybrid & Nopun,

If you three want to play with screenshots, set up some friends or forum games, advertise them as such, and play.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that is going to improve the quality of the game, but don't take my word for it, go do it, and see how it goes. See how many people want to play, and see if you like it better. Then come tell us all about it.

In the meantime, it appears to me that you guys are proposing a change that benefits yourselves, but does not do anything to enhance the game and certainly disadvantages the vast majority of players, so it isn't going to go anywhere.

IMHO this proposal is DOA.


I don't think they make the game better. I just think it's silly to ban them for the reasons expressed here.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby asudevil » 30 Mar 2018, 04:45

NoPunIn10Did wrote:I don't think they make the game better. I just think it's silly to ban them for the reasons expressed here.


So then what IS the good reason to ban them...lol
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
User avatar
asudevil
Premium Member
 
Posts: 16582
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 02:20
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1437
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 30 Mar 2018, 04:51

asudevil wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:I don't think they make the game better. I just think it's silly to ban them for the reasons expressed here.


So then what IS the good reason to ban them...lol


viewtopic.php?f=13&t=57523&start=10#p944127

Mostly technical issues with external hosting rather than overblown concerns about whether people can or can’t edit images.

In non-anonymous games, however, image sharing is generally harmless.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1451
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby Cliff Dancer » 30 Mar 2018, 05:57

I'm getting slightly turned around on this one. If someone is willing to pour extra resources into a well crafted deception in an altered image, more power to them. I can't do it, and probably won't take the time to figure it out (to be honest, I don't even know how to post an image here), but if someone else has the tenacity, why not? Hacking of course is over the line as that would strictly retract from the enjoyment of the game for the vast majority of users.

Other point, this is the best Diplomacy site I've seen due to the user interface. Very friendly.
CliffDancer, Russia in Colonial 7, Northumbria in Heptarchy XV, The Greys in Invasion Earth
User avatar
Cliff Dancer
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 04 Aug 2016, 05:24
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1390)
All-game rating: (1418)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby SteveHybrid » 30 Mar 2018, 06:36

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
WHSeward wrote:SB, Hybrid & Nopun,

If you three want to play with screenshots, set up some friends or forum games, advertise them as such, and play.

I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that is going to improve the quality of the game, but don't take my word for it, go do it, and see how it goes. See how many people want to play, and see if you like it better. Then come tell us all about it.

In the meantime, it appears to me that you guys are proposing a change that benefits yourselves, but does not do anything to enhance the game and certainly disadvantages the vast majority of players, so it isn't going to go anywhere.

IMHO this proposal is DOA.


I don't think they make the game better. I just think it's silly to ban them for the reasons expressed here.

Exactly.

Furthermore, On this thread someone commented that they don't forward messages and further wouldn't share a screenshot either. It goes to show that not everyone uses the ability to send altered messages and the same would go for sharing images. The art of deception isn't text based and should include various methods and approaches on how to deceive your opponent. "Because not everyone can" isn't a strong reason to say no.


Cliff Dancer wrote:Other point, this is the best Diplomacy site I've seen due to the user interface. Very friendly.

At the moment this site is hands down the best Diplomacy site due to it's interface and community. I've been to one other Dipsite in particular which was horrible, complete trash. Perhaps it was just a few bad players in the few games I tried but they're absolute shit compare to PlayDip.
-Steve
User avatar
SteveHybrid
Premium Member
 
Posts: 173
Joined: 01 May 2017, 03:57
Location: Earth.
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1238
All-game rating: 767
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby condude1 » 30 Mar 2018, 07:07

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
condude1 wrote:While it's great to say that "Screenshots can't be trusted. no problem!", that doesn't actually resolve my complaint. Say someone asks me to screenshot a message. My options have been limited extremely far to telling the truth or making up some BS reason I can't screenshot things. That's a massive metagamey hurdle thrown up because I can't Photoshop.

Who needs to be diplomatic when you can just be slightly better with a completely irrelevant piece of software?


It's not a matter of being better with software. It's about learning to find new ways to lie. You don't have to use Photoshop or anything remotely like it to do that.


Irrelevant. The point stands that this gives an advantage to players who are better at editing pictures. A skill that should be completely irrelevant to the game at hand.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 7207
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby condude1 » 30 Mar 2018, 07:09

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
Hybrid wrote:Maybe it's just me but if I know that I'm not good at something then I'd learn or innovate to work a new angle. If you'd prefer not to adapt then don't, but you shouldn't disallow others based on your own personal skill set.


Image


Alright, I propose a new rule. Rather than a 1v1 standoff bouncing, players play a game of chess to see who gets the territory. What, you don't know how to play chess? Learn! I happen to be good at playing chess? What a coincidence!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 7207
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby condude1 » 30 Mar 2018, 07:11

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
super_dipsy wrote:
If we allow screenshots, then every time you tell anyone anything (eg I got the following message, or I can see there is a French unit in Tuscany, honest, or whatever, a likely immediate response would be 'prove it, send me a screen shot'. Certainly what I would say. I know the screenshot could be a lie, but how does the person react to the question? If you do not know how to manipulate images, you are stuffed. You COULD try to claim you don't know how to take a screen shot, but it doesn;t take much to explain to someone how to do that on their browser. So in the end the only thing you can do is fall back on 'it's against my policy to send screenshots, sorry'. Not very convincing, is it.


Then maybe the rule shouldn't be "you can't share screenshots" but rather "you can't ask for them."


A really pathetic rule to put in place. Gag orders are a terrible proposition at the best of times (I've railed against them countless times in the mafia forums). I can't think of anything else I can't write in a message (unless I know the person on the other end, but that's a different can of worms). Maybe that's a tip off that allowing screenshots is a terrible idea?
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 7207
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Site Rules

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest