Gunboat Anonymity Question

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Gunboat Anonymity Question

Postby BrotherBored » 21 May 2019, 22:16

I reviewed the site's written rules, but was unable to determine if this would be a violation or not. Can someone help me out?

Does it violate the site rules for two players who know each other to join the same gunboat game without first informing the other players? Assume that the players don't circumvent the anonymity, message each out outside the match, etc. Is it per se a rules violation for two players who know each other to intentionally join the same public gunboat game?

I ask because this would be a violation on webDiplomacy, where I originate.
BrotherBored

Timezone: EST

Re: Gunboat Anonymity Question

Postby super_dipsy » 22 May 2019, 10:57

Welcome to the site!

I suspect you missed this bit in the Site Rules for Fair Play
Site Rules wrote:1. Anonymous Games.
There are two types of anonymous games: Anonymous Players where everything about the game is anonymous - who created the game, the names of the players involved and the powers they play. Gunboat and Public Press Only games also fall into this category.

So Gunboat games are the same as Anonymous Players games in terms of anonymity. No player should be aware of the identity of any other player in the game.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Re: Gunboat Anonymity Question

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 22 May 2019, 16:56

BrotherBored wrote:I reviewed the site's written rules, but was unable to determine if this would be a violation or not. Can someone help me out?

Does it violate the site rules for two players who know each other to join the same gunboat game without first informing the other players? Assume that the players don't circumvent the anonymity, message each out outside the match, etc. Is it per se a rules violation for two players who know each other to intentionally join the same public gunboat game?

I ask because this would be a violation on webDiplomacy, where I originate.

We do allow folks to set up Friends games, where such restrictions are lifted. But for official Rated / Unrated games, it's like Dipsy says: no one should know anyone else. We even have a fake forum account (Dolph Shtoss) that we let people log into in order to advertise such games anonymously.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1487
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Site Rules