What happens to the game when a player surrenders?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

What happens to the game when a player surrenders?

Postby cdebasso » 20 May 2020, 21:59

Is the game suspended until someone takes the surrendered power over?
Or does the game go on with a passive power?
By the way, I thought this is a pretty basic question about the functioning of the platform (new to me) but I could not find the answer under "guides" or in the forum... did I miss a section somewhere?
Thanks for your help.
cdebasso

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: What happens to the game when a player surrenders?

Postby V » 20 May 2020, 22:09

cdebasso wrote:Is the game suspended until someone takes the surrendered power over?
Or does the game go on with a passive power?
By the way, I thought this is a pretty basic question about the functioning of the platform (new to me) but I could not find the answer under "guides" or in the forum... did I miss a section somewhere?
Thanks for your help.

The game continues, but see below for details.
If the game is a “protected” game (option during game set up) there are phase timer resets allowing more time to replace the surrendered player. If it is not a “protected” game there are no delays & the game proceeds as if the surrender didn’t happen.
The units of the surrendered player all hold (civil disorder) UNLESS the player that surrendered entered orders before leaving the game, in which case those orders get implemented at deadline. If a replacement player arrived before deadline, they can be changed of course.
Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby cdebasso » 20 May 2020, 23:11

Thank you!
What about the deadlines? Can the turn be resolved if all active players finalize their orders, or must all deadlines run their course because the surrendered power does not finalize?
cdebasso

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby V » 21 May 2020, 01:01

cdebasso wrote:Thank you!
What about the deadlines? Can the turn be resolved if all active players finalize their orders, or must all deadlines run their course because the surrendered power does not finalize?

The surrendered nation no longer gets a vote on anything. Draws, deadlines, retreats.
If all remaining players finalise their orders, the turn processes. If the surrendered nation has a unit dislodged it disbands.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby ColonelApricot » 21 May 2020, 01:36

Adding to that - anything the player did before surrendering is unaffected (except for a draw vote because a surrendered player's vote doesn't count). After surrendering they are no longer part of the game and cannot participate in any way.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1408

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use