Substitutes - taking over and how to leave?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Substitutes - taking over and how to leave?

Postby smartiperson » 24 Feb 2020, 23:02

Someone requested me to substitute them in a game ... which I accepted.

Now I’ve read the rules on Substitutes, I’m not sure I can carry on replacing them since the rules are that you can’t already be in another game with the same player. And I’ve subsequently realised that we are indeed in another game together

I’ve asked the player what he plans to do; I guess either he needs to resign from the game, or rejoin the other game. Otherwise I assume have to exit as a substitute.

Problem is, I don’t know how to resign as a substitute ... seems a bit harsh to just exit the game.
smartiperson
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1277
All-game rating: 1221
Timezone: GMT

Re: Substitutes - taking over and how to leave?

Postby V » 25 Feb 2020, 00:25

I know my knowledge of site rules is sketchy, but I’ve never seen that rule before & just tried to find it (& failed).
I don’t understand why it would be a rule anyway, seems excessive. Could you put a link to the rule?
I think you might not have a problem.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1769
All-game rating: 1827
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby smartiperson » 25 Feb 2020, 00:32

It’s mentioned in the Glossary ...

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/help.php? ... Glossary#S

substitute – a player taking over a power for a portion of the game at the request and for the benefit of the original player. Players may only substitute for one power in any given game and may not substitute for any player they have a current or pending game with. Except for NMRs the substitute incurs, all results of the game for Rating and Player Class purposes are applied to the original player not the substitute.
smartiperson
Premium Member

Postby V » 25 Feb 2020, 00:41

smartiperson wrote:It’s mentioned in the Glossary ...

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/help.php? ... Glossary#S

substitute – a player taking over a power for a portion of the game at the request and for the benefit of the original player. Players may only substitute for one power in any given game and may not substitute for any player they have a current or pending game with. Except for NMRs the substitute incurs, all results of the game for Rating and Player Class purposes are applied to the original player not the substitute.

You’re right. Good detective job finding the rule, however it does mean you have a problem as discussed. I would’ve made the same mistake.
Best option is probably the original player finds another sub. I’m sure someone on this forum has time to help & if absolutely necessary I’ll do it myself (but only briefly). When’s the guy returning to his game?
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Postby smartiperson » 25 Feb 2020, 01:23

I found the rule after someone in the game I joined asked me how scoring worked with subs, who got the credit for a win. So I searched and found the rules, which is then why I realised there was an issue.

The problem now is I’ve messaged the original player but heard nothing back. I guess he’s busy, which is why he wanted me to be his sub.

And also, I don’t know how to resign as a sub or pass it to someone else. I assume the original player has to take back control.

Mind you, since I’ve heard nothing from him in the other game, I’m wondering if he’s going to quit that match, in which case the problem may resolve itself!

Anyway, I’ve messaged the administrators so will report back anything they tell me.
smartiperson
Premium Member

Postby V » 25 Feb 2020, 01:35

smartiperson wrote:I found the rule after someone in the game I joined asked me how scoring worked with subs, who got the credit for a win. So I searched and found the rules, which is then why I realised there was an issue.

The problem now is I’ve messaged the original player but heard nothing back. I guess he’s busy, which is why he wanted me to be his sub.

And also, I don’t know how to resign as a sub or pass it to someone else. I assume the original player has to take back control.

Mind you, since I’ve heard nothing from him in the other game, I’m wondering if he’s going to quit that match, in which case the problem may resolve itself!

Anyway, I’ve messaged the administrators so will report back anything they tell me.

“Normal” procedure is he is in control of taking over his game again, or not.
The only actions available to you are continue playing (which appears to be against the rules) or surrender (most unfortunate for everyone).
However if he isn’t responding there’s not much anyone can do. Can’t you reach him via the “other” game. Maybe a mod can help once the original player communicates his wishes,

Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
V

Postby smartiperson » 25 Feb 2020, 10:40

Yes, I’ve tried reaching out in the other game, but heard nothing back. Which is why I’m now thinking he’ll exit from that game as well, which would resolve my difficulty

However, it’d still be good to understand how to exit as a Sub so I know how to do things properly ...
smartiperson
Premium Member

Postby V » 25 Feb 2020, 15:34

smartiperson wrote:Yes, I’ve tried reaching out in the other game, but heard nothing back. Which is why I’m now thinking he’ll exit from that game as well, which would resolve my difficulty

However, it’d still be good to understand how to exit as a Sub so I know how to do things properly ...

Exit as a sub;
1. Original player takes game back, at his discretion.
2. Game ends (whatever result credited to original player)
3. Surrender (credited to original player)

They’re your options :D
Best Regards V
Platinum Classicist
V

Postby condude1 » 25 Feb 2020, 19:05

I'd say keep playing. It's unfair to everyone involved to surrender. Instead, PM the mods and ask for the best course of action while finishing your role as sub. Surrendering doesn't help anyone.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby smartiperson » 25 Feb 2020, 19:15

Thanks for the advice, guys. I did message Admin and was waiting for a reply. I also messaged the player I subbed, but heard nothing.

Fortunately, a resolution to my dilemma appears to have arisen: The player has issued all 'hold' orders in the other game I'm in, so it seems clear he's given up and will auto-exit next turn.

Hence I'm going to stick around in both games; should be ok now.

The lesson for the future is if asked to be someone's substitute, check first to see if you're in another game with them before accepting!
smartiperson
Premium Member

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use