Self Reporting Unintentional Violation (Screencap)

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Re: Self Reporting Unintentional Violation (Screencap)

Postby super_dipsy » 23 Mar 2018, 09:57

I cannot understand why this logic is so hard to follow. Diplomacy is a game about, surprisingly, Diplomacy. It is about trying to persuade people to do what you want by talking to them. People win because they are the best at influencing/cajoling/persuading/bribing/misleading/understanding the other players. For all players to have the same opportunities to win, the common denominator needs to be kept as low as possible. Already players who are not primarily English speakers have a disadvantage, but we can't do much about that. So what we place as a base assumption is
- Can you write words that make sense
- Do you understand the idea of sending and receiving messages, possibly copying/forwarding etc

What we don't say is
- Do you all understand how to use Photoshop and can afford to buy it

ColonelApricot wrote:The obvious corollary to this is - upgrade the in-game message system to handle images - like the shoutbox already does.

...and make it even easier for people to break the rules and send screenshots to each other

But this is a two-pronged argument. One angle is the 'level playing field argument' which I have just given. The other is what the damn game is all about. What makes the diplomacy part so tricky is that you can never actually PROVE anything to anyone, except by actions on the board. As soon as you can, you destroy the cornerstone of the game. Why do you have to be good at persuading people of something when you can just prove it to them?
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT

Re: Self Reporting Unintentional Violation (Screencap)

Postby andrewd » 26 Mar 2018, 16:34

...Came back to post an acknowledgement of my further ignorance regarding the anonymous status of the game and inadvertently posting my country here, as I'm trying to find a sub currently, this was useful information to know and I'll try and DM a mod in the future to avoid this scenario. Thanks all.

Also interested to see the continued discussion on the topic - perhaps it was beneficial it came up as it appears one of those rules that people can serve to be educated on.
andrewd

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1312
All-game rating: 1367
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use