Help with Accidentally Encouraged Multi-Accounting

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Help with Accidentally Encouraged Multi-Accounting

Postby whichwitchwaswhich » 23 Sep 2014, 15:19

Some friends and I recently started a game that we wanted to play anonymously. A few of us had played a game or two previously through playdiplomacy in friend mode.

Being the newbie that I am, I set up a passworded game for my friends, and asked them to create new accounts so we could play anonymously. In my head, I'm thinking the website wouldn't allow you to use the same email address and they would get an error message. Instead, several users used the same email address with a new nickname, while I used an alternate email.

I'm trying to get this sorted out, as the inevitable banning has started to occur. These are not cheaters, just some friends who mistakenly thought this was how to play anonymously. I have since been informed that premium members can choose this as an option, and I will pay for a premium and do this. I didn't know about this before.

Is there any way to reactivate the primary account and delete the second accounts for my friends? We were all in #89742. ZRG+ Game 2

I apologize on behalf of everyone for this error in judgement. The intention was not to multi-account, but to choose usernames that would be anonymous as the normal usernames are already known to several in the group.
whichwitchwaswhich

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Help with Accidentally Encouraged Multi-Accounting

Postby gareth66 » 23 Sep 2014, 15:26

I'm currently in the process of dealing with this, so will lock the thread until it is sorted out.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby gareth66 » 23 Sep 2014, 15:50

Ok, this is all sorted now.

Thank you for the explanation whichwitchwaswhich. Yes, it was an error of judgement, but it was also your friends' choice to follow through with what you asked of them. They are all fairly new to the site, so it is not that long since they made a promise to only operate one account when they clocked to confirm their original accounts. And when they clicked to confirm their second accounts, they knowingly made the same promise again fully aware that they were breaking it as they did so.

All players involved have had one account reactivated, subject to a warning against opening future second accounts. And you are all now aware that it is not necessary to open multiple accounts in order to play games anonymously. I hope you now go on to enjoy your game together.

Thread now unlocked.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby whichwitchwaswhich » 23 Sep 2014, 16:02

gareth66 wrote:Yes, it was an error of judgement, but it was also your friends' choice to follow through with what you asked of them.

So... I win the signup meta-game?

I appreciate your quick action on this matter. Sorry for the trouble.

Sheepishly,
WWWW
whichwitchwaswhich

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Otherwise » 23 Sep 2014, 17:51

Wow, handled like true Diplomats!

The honesty and accountability was admirable. So was the fair resolution.

If only we could see this more often in actual games :)

I'm waiting for PayPal to do it's little confirmation thing, then I'm signing up, too.

-Russell (Bbbumpy)
Otherwise

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1142)

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use