Auto-disband of surplus units for surrendered countries

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Auto-disband of surplus units for surrendered countries

Postby Blackrake » 24 Aug 2014, 20:31

What is the system logic for disbanding surplus units? Is it random, or is it just the furthest one fromn the home centres, alphabetical if the distance is even, or what have you? Are ones that are attacked disbanded first? I've tried searching under various terms and I haven't found anything that answers my question. Does anyone know how the system adjudicator assigns precedence for non-player driven disbands?
Platinum Classicist
Blackrake

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1628)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Auto-disband of surplus units for surrendered countries

Postby jonisilk » 24 Aug 2014, 20:39

If a country has surrendered and it's unit is attacked, then presuming no-one joins as the surrendered power, the defeated unit would not receive a retreat order and would be destroyed.

At the end of the fall, during the build phase, if the surrendered power has 5 SC's and 8 units, the units disbanded would be those furthest from a home SC.

Beyond that, I don't know, but I think I read somewhere that given equal distance between units, then a fleet at sea would be destroyed before an army, but you'd better double check that with someone more knowledgable than I.
The enemies of my enemies are not necessarily my friend, but they may still be useful.

Member of the Classicists.
jonisilk

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1312)
All-game rating: (1427)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 24 Aug 2014, 20:41

Auto-disband retreats...Furthest from home SC...fleets before armies...then alphabetical...that's the order stuff gets disbanded in.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby -Gambit- » 24 Aug 2014, 22:47

The furthest from Home rule has always confused me a bit. How is furthest home unit measured? Or is it Furthest unit from any single home SC?

For Example, let us say Italy just surrendered during build phase and has 4sc's (all home SC's and tunis) with 5 total units as follows:

A Ven
A Rom
F Nap
F Tyrr
F Ion

Now which unit gets disbanded assuming no one picks up position?

Using the shortest possible route from a home SC as a whole, I calc the following:

The F ion is 1 away from Nap, 2 from Rom and 2 from Ven = Total of 5
F Tyrr is 1 from Rome, 1 from Nap, and 2 from Ven = Total of 4
And lets not even count the units on the home SC's because well they are obviously closest.
So in this case it would be Ion gets disbanded (if this were the rule).
-Gambit-

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1408)
All-game rating: (1407)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 25 Aug 2014, 01:12

Its ION...but not because of it being 5 to 4...Its ION because both ION and TYS are 1 spot away from a home SC and both are fleets...and I comes before T in the Alphabet.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 25 Aug 2014, 07:07

Asu is quite right. it is a question of the shortest path to a home SC = the nearest home SC. There is no aggregation of distances as in your example.

There are three other slight confusions possible, although I am well aware that most people will not be in the slightest interested in this level of detail :) .

- The path to judge distance from Home SC has to be one the unit can travel. So for example a Russian fleet in Berlin is THREE away from a home SC (St P), while an army in Berlin is only TWO away (from Warsaw). The fleet cannot move to Warsaw and so must count to the nearest coastal SC.

- When counting up distances to home SCs, armies can count hypothetical convoy routes at one distance unit per province. So a British army in Syria is SEVEN away from a home SC.

- These rules do not apply when the game is a Build Anywhere variant because in these games your 'home' could easily move. So in these games the removal is simply random. In these games, the order of removal is 1) non-SC before SC, 2) fleet before army, 3) alphabetical.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Postby gareth66 » 25 Aug 2014, 09:41

I've just realised there is an aspect to the auto-disband rule that I am not sure I know the answer to. For the purposes of the auto-disband calculation, do home centres still count as home centres even if the country in question no longer controls them?

Suppose, for example, England has three fleets but only two centres. Fleets are in North Sea, English Channel and Clyde, centres are Liverpool and Edinburgh but England has lost control of London. All fleets are within 1 square of one of England's starting SCs, so alphabetically Clyde would go. But the English Channel fleet is more than 1 square away from a home SC if London no longer counts in the equation. Which goes, Clyde or English Channel?
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby super_dipsy » 25 Aug 2014, 12:19

For the purposes of auto-disband there is no consideration over the ownership of the home SCs. It is not relevant to the decision.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby Blackrake » 27 Aug 2014, 07:54

is therer any priority over SCs as opposed to non SCs in the calculation? For example, a copuntry holds a foreign SC 3 units away. A non SC is two units away. Will the auto disband still elect to vacate a SC over a non SC space, which is inherently more valuable, simply because it's farther away?
Platinum Classicist
Blackrake

Standard rating: (1594)
All-game rating: (1628)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 27 Aug 2014, 08:12

The rules make it clear that there is no difference between SCs and non-SCs in the calculation. In your example, the SC unit would be removed because it is further than the non-SC.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use