Interfacing with the game program.

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Interfacing with the game program.

Postby lostgamers » 03 Jul 2014, 22:21

Just began a Friends game and this is the first time we have used playdiplomacy.com. We are having some trouble understanding how to use the game program, mainly creating orders. Is there a tutorial I can point everyone to, or maybe a how-to list?
lostgamers

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Interfacing with the game program.

Postby WHSeward » 03 Jul 2014, 22:44

"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Alman » 03 Jul 2014, 22:50

Most everything is point and click. When you look at your map, you an click on the "Orders" menu and it will tell you what units are awaiting orders. Then you just click on each unit and a menu should pop up at your cursor and you choose move, hold, support or, with fleets convoy. At the bottom of the map, just below the border will be instructions after you select. [ex. if you click move it will ask you to click the destination territory].

In some cases, a second menu will appear. If you are moving a unit that is adjacent to a ship, a menu will appear asking whether to go by land or by convoy.

Once you have entered orders for each unit, you can return to the orders menu and check to make sure everything is there and correct. If it is not, you can "x" it out OR you can simply return to the map and enter new orders which will replace any previous ones for that unit.

One quick word of caution. Sometimes if the server is a bit slow the little pop-up to ask about convoy or in some cases to ask which coast you want might be slow to appear. If you are entering orders quickly, you might skip over that pop-up without even noticing. I have found sometimes that when I do that, the order is not entered but the unit is not listed as needing orders. So make sure you check your orders carefully when you are done. If you have made changes, you can hit, in the same menu, the refresh orders option which will make sure what you are seeing is what is currently entered in the database.

That's pretty much it. Hope that helps. If not, ask away some more. There are better and more experienced minds than me on this site that can help. :)
EDIT: See, like I said, WHS is both better and more experienced. :D
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Gavrilo Princip » 03 Jul 2014, 23:32

Always a good practice as well to check your orders when you think you're finished unputting them. Click "orders" and just read through the dialog box, just to double-check everything is ordered to do what you wanted. I use an iPad for my interface, and on the tablet there's sometimes a small delay, such that I don't know whether I'm waiting for the thing to respond or I didn't quite "click" it when I tapped. As a result, sometimes I get the accidental "double-click" or a tap on the wrong instruction, etc. Double-checking the orders list always helps avoid errors. :)
~Gavrilo Princip
Silver Classicist
Gavrilo Princip
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1183)
All-game rating: (1240)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sleepyjim » 04 Jul 2014, 02:12

Just a note if in a live game, do your orders before the last minute as some nets/comps have a lag and you will lose orders being executed.....

Go ahead ask me how I know......LOL

I am sure your gonna love playing here, it really is a great site.....(I am new as well)

Jim
Gold Member of The Classicists!

Member of The Oldies!

Solo Win: Water Water Everywhere PBFD

2 Way Draw: 21st Century Diplomacy PBFD
sleepyjim

Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1101)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby lostgamers » 04 Jul 2014, 20:46