Withdrawn from pending game disappears from list

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Withdrawn from pending game disappears from list

Postby mikeoregan » 22 Apr 2014, 16:23

Hi,

Dumb question but I can't find the explanation anywhere ...

Wanted to join a game as Italy (why not!)
But France was showing on the list and I got distracted and pressed join anyway (as France that is).
Oops, thought I, just withdraw from the game and rejoin as Italy.
Withdrawing was no problem, but then the game disappeared from the openings list.
Since there were 4 available countries at the tme, I assume that it only disappeared for me ...
... my dumb question is: "Why?"
Is it a bug or a mechanism to stop people constantly joining and leaving particular games?

Mike
mikeoregan

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1336)
All-game rating: (1355)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Withdrawn from pending game disappears from list

Postby Darkshade » 22 Apr 2014, 18:16

Unfortunately, if you unsubscribe from a game, you are no more able to see that game or join it.

I think the rationale is to stop players from delaying a game intentionally by unsubscribing and then re-joining.
I figure there are other reasons as well but I'm not aware of them.

Either way, you won't be able to find that game in the join game tab.
Darkshade

Standard rating: (1688)
All-game rating: (1683)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby rick.leeds » 22 Apr 2014, 18:22

The latter, Mike.

When you have joined a game, then withdraw, surrender or are auto-surrendered, you can't re-join or re-register to that game. Unless the game is a Friends or Schools game, when players are allowed to re-join on the assumption that they were either part of a group of friends entering the game or that they were necessary to the game. Also, because Friends and Schools games are protected by a password from the start of a game until it finishes, no other players can access those games if someone leaves, unless they are given the password. Ranked and No Rank games operate differently; here the password only protects the game from people joining who don't have the password at the start.

Anyway, once you had withdrawn from the game the system registered that you had been registered to the game and removed that game from the list of games available to you. As you say, a game could be spoiled/delayed by the same player joining, then withdrawing or missing confirmation repeatedly. A short while ago there was a bug in the system which allowed players to re-join games they had left... and there was a game where the same player was joining and failing to confirm repeatedly, whether deliberately or just being a lazy sod :roll:
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby mikeoregan » 23 Apr 2014, 11:49

Okay thanks guys ... that explains it.

(Probably just my subconscious protecting me from playing Italy ... )
mikeoregan

Standard rating: (1336)
All-game rating: (1355)

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use