When is an "eliminated" player removed from Draw voting?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Re: When is an "eliminated" player removed from Draw voting?

Postby WHSeward » 11 Feb 2014, 20:56

Petunia wrote:On Playdiplomacy.com, a Power is eliminated following the turn in which they are reduced to 0 supply centers owned.

Someone should ask Dipsy to edit the rule exceptions list that I linked to above to include our "0 supply centers" rule.
Last edited by WHSeward on 11 Feb 2014, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby jaelis » 11 Feb 2014, 21:01

Seems like a fair point. Is there any reason to prefer one implementation over the other?
jaelis

Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WHSeward » 11 Feb 2014, 21:09

I'd say these are nits and are rarely going to matter, but based on Petunia's post, we aren't following the rules in a couple of cases here so we should just be explicit about that.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby socratease » 11 Feb 2014, 21:29

Petunia wrote:Good point on the rules.

On Playdiplomacy.com, a Power is eliminated following the turn in which they are reduced to 0 supply centers owned.

rhyker wrote:I've had a game where my last unit was destroyed and the supply center occupied in the Spring, but I had to wait until the Fall Build phase to be "eliminated". That is, allowed to "Ignore" the game in the statistics tab.

Perhaps "turn" there does not mean "phase" and includes the Build phase as part of the "turn" following reduction to 0 units/centers. Clearly rhyker was not eliminated in the Fall Orders phase following the occupation of his final SC in Spring, since he still "owned" the SC until it changed hands in the Build phase.

The question is whether the Accept/Deny Draw buttons remain active like the Surrender button does.
socratease

Standard rating: (1715)
All-game rating: (1958)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby super_dipsy » 12 Feb 2014, 07:58

I just noticed this thread. Looks like people have already answered. But the way the code works is that in the Build phase, we mark countries that are eliminated (= 0 SCs and by definition 0 units) and then we check to see if the Draw can process. So if the only hold-out was a country that has now been eliminated the draw is immediately processed. The reason we wait until the units AND scs are down to 0 is because in either case the player could come back to life (even though very unlikely).

I have clarified the deviations in the Site Rules section. I must admit I had ever even noticed the imprecise wording for when players share in the draw - I had always mentally read it is 0 SCs + 0 units; I suspect it was just another oversight. I note that in his very first draft of the rules (when it was Realpolitik), Calhamer uses the phrase 'all powers still in the game', which clearly means 0 SCs and 0 Units. But then he or the rules authors changed it in later rules no doubt without thinking ;)

But anyway, I have updated the rules deviations accordingly.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use