Recruiting a player to prevent a loss

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Recruiting a player to prevent a loss

Postby beaven » 16 Aug 2013, 18:38

In reference to: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_ ... e_id=65902

After the 1907 fall moves, I thought of recruiting someone, perhaps a friend, to join as Austria to withdraw from Triste to a Russian SC. This would have prevented/delayed a loss. Is such recruitment against the rules or considered unethical?

Game is over now and I didn't recruit because it wasn't clear to me. But now I want to know for future reference.
beaven

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1033)
All-game rating: (1031)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Recruiting a player to prevent a loss

Postby Stanislaw » 16 Aug 2013, 18:46

It's always acceptable to advertise for a replacement player when a country has surrendered. No matter what the position is on the board, even if you benefit from a player surrendering it's the right choice to find a replacement.
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Platinum member of the Classicists
Stanislaw

Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1484)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Bam207 » 16 Aug 2013, 19:15

Unless it is a 'friends' game, you should NEVER play with someone you know in real life.
Bam207

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1001)
All-game rating: (945)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Radical Pumpkin » 16 Aug 2013, 19:50

My view, and my understanding of the official view, is that advertising for a replacement is always fine. However, replacement can't be tied to making the specific moves you want them to make; they're perfectly entitled to turn on you, even if you think they shouldn't. Advertising for a replacement and saying something like "help to hold back Russia from soloing by joining this game!" seems like grey territory, IMO. Ideally, I don't think ads should say anything about anticipated in-game behavior of the replacement, but they sometimes do.
Radical Pumpkin

Standard rating: (1599)
All-game rating: (1620)

Postby sinnybee » 16 Aug 2013, 20:00

Bam207 wrote:Unless it is a 'friends' game, you should NEVER play with someone you know in real life.

It's okay to play with someone you know in real life in a rank or norank game as long as you don't enter with a prearranged alliance, don't ally with them more than 1 in 5 games or so, and don't engage in any communication other than the in-game communication.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Petunia » 16 Aug 2013, 21:09

Radical Pumpkin wrote:My view, and my understanding of the official view, is that advertising for a replacement is always fine. However, replacement can't be tied to making the specific moves you want them to make; they're perfectly entitled to turn on you, even if you think they shouldn't. Advertising for a replacement and saying something like "help to hold back Russia from soloing by joining this game!" seems like grey territory, IMO. Ideally, I don't think ads should say anything about anticipated in-game behavior of the replacement, but they sometimes do.

Speaking as someone who has the ability (and occasionally the inclination) to edit such forum posts, I'd say this is pretty much accurate.

If I saw a post saying "Looks like a bad position, but can still have a huge impact on the outcome!" I'd leave it.

If I saw a post saying "Looks like a bad position, but only you can help stop Russia from soloing!" I'd... probably look at the game and if I felt the statement was totally obvious to any observer, I'd probably leave it. If the board state didn't clearly indicate what was said, I'd most likely remove it.

If I saw a post saying "Looks like a bad position, but if you withdraw from Triste to a Russian SC you can prevent/delay a loss" I'd remove it. And warn the poster.

The same logic should be applied only even more so when it comes to recruiting on your own. If I was Russia in this case and knew that the position had not been advertised, and saw someone show up to take over a near-hopeless position only to move directly against me, I'd be pretty pissed. In other words, a player should NEVER be recruited solely to take over a surrendered position with the intent of doing something specific with it - that much, as you correctly intuited in this case, is strictly against the rules.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)

Postby sock » 16 Aug 2013, 21:43

I've discussed this point in previous posts. I hate the idea of recruiting people to simply assist you in achieving victory or preventing defeat. The game is where it is because of your play against six original opponents. Adding new people to the mix, simply to advance your agenda is wrong.
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Standard rating: (1149)
All-game rating: (1212)

Postby TheCraw » 16 Aug 2013, 21:55

beaven wrote:After the 1907 fall moves, I thought of recruiting someone, perhaps a friend, to join as Austria to withdraw from Triste to a Russian SC. This would have prevented/delayed a loss. Is such recruitment against the rules or considered unethical?

The short answer: NO.
It is Metagaming to recruiter anyone you know to enter a game with any pre-planned reason, alliance, purpose or set of moves.
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000

Postby Petunia » 17 Aug 2013, 02:37

sock wrote:I've discussed this point in previous posts. I hate the idea of recruiting people to simply assist you in achieving victory or preventing defeat. The game is where it is because of your play against six original opponents. Adding new people to the mix, simply to advance your agenda is wrong.

'Simply to advance your agenda,' of course. However, adding new players to the mix to preserve the integrity of a game that was designed to be played by seven players each until their elimination, though, is right.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)

Postby Jegpeg » 17 Aug 2013, 10:13

Petunia wrote:
sock wrote:I've discussed this point in previous posts. I hate the idea of recruiting people to simply assist you in achieving victory or preventing defeat. The game is where it is because of your play against six original opponents. Adding new people to the mix, simply to advance your agenda is wrong.

'Simply to advance your agenda,' of course. However, adding new players to the mix to preserve the integrity of a game that was designed to be played by seven players each until their elimination, though, is right.

I agree, for example, if Me and my ally hold 17 centres one side of the stalemate line and a single enemy holds the other side, I would think I deserve a 3 way draw. If my ally then surrenders I'll be looking for a replacement. (And hope they see they join with me to prevent the solo, but I wouldn't suggest this until they sign up).
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use