ranking

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

ranking

Postby donaldworrell » 12 Aug 2013, 00:41

Not sure where to post this. I am trying to figure out how the ranking works on this site. I am talking about when a game finishishs you get points. How re they awarded and how it works. my last game for example I got a -41. how did that happen and what does it mean ?
donaldworrell
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 16 Jul 2013, 22:06
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (970)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: ranking

Postby bindlestiff » 12 Aug 2013, 00:44

As explained in the Ratings section under the Statistics tab:

The PlayDiplomacy scoring system is based around your rating. This rating starts at 1000, and is then adjusted based on your results.

Your result each game is based on how you did AND how your rating compares to the other players in the game. Some general guidelines are:

- Your rating can go down as well as up; but a solo can NEVER lower your rating, and a loss can NEVER raise it
- If you do well against highly rated players your reward will be greater than against low rated ones
- If you replace a surrendered country your result will be scaled based on the % of turns you played
- Solo wins are more heavily weighted than sharing a draw
- Your rating shield (if charged) gives you a 'free play' when you replace a surrendered player; you cannot get a negative score
- The rating shield is charged by starting a Ranked game; every time you use it, it is drained and must be charged again before reuse

Your rating may swing quite wildly at first, but should quickly come to reflect your general standard, although of course you can always improve!
(But remember, only RANKED games count towards your rating)
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
User avatar
bindlestiff
Premium Member
 
Posts: 424
Joined: 24 Feb 2011, 06:02
Location: Oregon, USA
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1331)
All-game rating: (1388)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: ranking

Postby donaldworrell » 12 Aug 2013, 00:51

I saw that but that does not explain how it works. I finish last I get -50 and if I finish 2nd I get -41. where do those numbers come from. I would think that some where this would be explained.
donaldworrell
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 16 Jul 2013, 22:06
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (970)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: ranking

Postby boingo33 » 12 Aug 2013, 00:56

There is no set total for a loss as it completely depends on the ranking of the others in the game. That means the penalty/reward will vary from game to game. Now I may be wrong but I believe that there is no difference between coming in second or last in point penalty. A loss is a loss and you loss to the same ranks regardless of when you went out of the game.

Where are you getting the -50 for coming in last?
boingo33
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 14 Aug 2011, 03:43
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1356)
All-game rating: (1354)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: ranking

Postby donaldworrell » 12 Aug 2013, 01:02

boingo33 wrote:There is no set total for a loss as it completely depends on the ranking of the others in the game. That means the penalty/reward will vary from game to game. Now I may be wrong but I believe that there is no difference between coming in second or last in point penalty. A loss is a loss and you loss to the same ranks regardless of when you went out of the game.

Where are you getting the -50 for coming in last?


Play This Game (ENGLAND): -39
-50 for defeat
Adjust for 78% turns played

In that game I took over a surrendered england. It had no armys or flleet or supply centers. so there was nothing I could do. that was the result.

here are my three finished games. and I do not understand ewhat these stats mean.

1. Live game! (ENGLAND): -41
-41 for defeat
2. Battle Of Liege (AUSTRIA): -45
-45 for defeat
3. Play This Game (ENGLAND): -39
-50 for defeat
Adjust for 78% turns played
donaldworrell
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 16 Jul 2013, 22:06
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (970)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: ranking

Postby boingo33 » 12 Aug 2013, 01:05

You took over a surrendered country that still lost and you played most of the turns of that country. Had you played every turn and lost you would have lost 50 based on your point total/rank when you entered the game and the point totals/rank of the other players in the game.
boingo33
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 14 Aug 2011, 03:43
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1356)
All-game rating: (1354)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: ranking

Postby donaldworrell » 12 Aug 2013, 01:18

boingo33 wrote:You took over a surrendered country that still lost and you played most of the turns of that country. Had you played every turn and lost you would have lost 50 based on your point total/rank when you entered the game and the point totals/rank of the other players in the game.



so if I never win a game my 1000 points to start will keep going down ?
donaldworrell
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 16 Jul 2013, 22:06
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (970)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: ranking

Postby diplomat42 » 12 Aug 2013, 01:30

donaldworrell wrote:
boingo33 wrote:You took over a surrendered country that still lost and you played most of the turns of that country. Had you played every turn and lost you would have lost 50 based on your point total/rank when you entered the game and the point totals/rank of the other players in the game.



so if I never win a game my 1000 points to start will keep going down ?


Yes, and will theoretically eventually settle at 0, I believe.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42
 
Posts: 10504
Joined: 21 Nov 2010, 19:32
Location: Swagland
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: ranking

Postby donaldworrell » 12 Aug 2013, 01:35

diplomat42 wrote:
donaldworrell wrote:
boingo33 wrote:You took over a surrendered country that still lost and you played most of the turns of that country. Had you played every turn and lost you would have lost 50 based on your point total/rank when you entered the game and the point totals/rank of the other players in the game.



so if I never win a game my 1000 points to start will keep going down ?


Yes, and will theoretically eventually settle at 0, I believe.



So does a win give you alot of points ?
donaldworrell
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 16 Jul 2013, 22:06
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (970)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: ranking

Postby diplomat42 » 12 Aug 2013, 01:36

Depends. A solo will usually give you a boatload, a draw less.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42
 
Posts: 10504
Joined: 21 Nov 2010, 19:32
Location: Swagland
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests