Is this a rules violation?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Is this a rules violation?

Postby metalbat » 28 Jun 2013, 04:34

Looking for opinions/ruling on the following semi-hypothetical situation:

It's late in a DIAS game (at least 1908 or 1909), and only three players are left: A, B, and C. I am Player C. All of us have ten or more SCs.

A & B have engaged in a game-long alliance. They have had several golden opportunities to stab each other, but have not done so.

I ask Player B about switching sides or about a possible three-way draw, since I am going to be the country in the "sandwich." B (with the smaller amount of SCs) tells me he is probably going to now help A to get the solo win, since A is more concerned about player ranking/rating than he (B) is. I tell A that I will concentrate all my forces against him (A), to keep him from winning. This will obviously make it easier for B to solo. B, however, refuses to take advantage, and B maneuvers his units around to support A and still eventually assists A in claiming the solo win.

What would you think of a situation like this?
metalbat

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1600)
All-game rating: (1607)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Is this a rules violation?

Postby Netr0 » 28 Jun 2013, 04:44

Could be meta gaming, could be carebearing a 2way draw(I hate these people a bit more than meta gamers... At least meta gamers play to win, while carebears play to draw :( I still dislike both).

PS Pm this to rick leeds or another cheater hunter for them to check out.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Standard rating: (1315)
All-game rating: (1649)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Klurg » 28 Jun 2013, 05:02

From what you've described, it doesn't sound like a rule violation to me, unless there's more to the story.

Soloing isn't everyone's priority, which is occasionally surprising. Some players can be motivated by pure loyalty, a disdain for stabbing, a thrist for revenge, a hunger for chaos, a pursuit of "justice" or just about anything else. Reading, understanding and using the secondary motivations of the other players is an important part of the game.

You're more likely to find players "purely" motivated to win higher on the leaderboards. However, if it becomes appearant to even a highly ranked player that he or she is unlikely or solo or even be part of a draw-- watch out! The secondary motivations can take over for them, too.
Klurg

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1394)
All-game rating: (1420)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby gareth66 » 28 Jun 2013, 08:59

Yes, unless there is more to it (such as evidence of metagaming uncovered by investigation of the message exchanges), what you have described in itself does not constitute any rule violation.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Blackfish » 28 Jun 2013, 12:10

Yeah, that is weird behaviour, but it does happen, though more commonly in NORANK or FRIENNDS games than RANK games, where ratings are at stake.
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby jaelis » 28 Jun 2013, 18:03

Unless the players have a history of working together, this is just excellent play on A's part.
jaelis

Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use