Can a surrendered/eliminated player substitute?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Can a surrendered/eliminated player substitute?

Postby WalrusMansion » 17 Jun 2013, 01:24

I'm playing a game with a group of friends and, right now, three countries have been eliminated and two others have essentially no chance of winning. The game is basically between myself (Italy) and Russia. The problem: I'm leaving for two weeks on Tuesday. I'd like one of the eliminated players to replace me or, if none of them want to, I'd like one of the essentially dead players to surrender and then replace me. Is this possible?

TL;DR: Can a player that surrendered/died in a game then rejoin it by substituting for another player that has to leave?
WalrusMansion

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Can a surrendered/eliminated player substitute?

Postby CountOfdeath » 17 Jun 2013, 03:01

While I don't' know if its allowed according to playdip rules, I would advise against it in the spirit of the game. Players who have already died in the game or are close to doing so have knowledge of the game from their previous nation, and as such an advantage over other players. It would be more fitting to find a player who has not had any experience with the game.
CountOfdeath

Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Netr0 » 17 Jun 2013, 03:39

I believe the mods were talking about this before that would allow only friend's games to allow people to rejoin. I am not sure if it was implemented yet though.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1315)
All-game rating: (1649)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jaelis » 17 Jun 2013, 04:13

I'm going to move this to the site rules forum, since it's more about site mechanics and site rules than the game rules.

I wouldn't have a problem with this in a Friends game, but I don't know if the site's sub system will allow for it.
jaelis

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 17 Jun 2013, 04:58

It wont...you can NEVER re-enter a game you have surrendered from...as that country or any other country.

And if you are eliminated, you are still considered to be playing (even if you are ignoring it.)
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby WalrusMansion » 17 Jun 2013, 05:45

Sorry about putting this thread in the wrong section, jaelis, and thank you for the answer, asudevil. I guess I'll try to end the game in a draw or convince another friend to join in.
WalrusMansion

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby super_dipsy » 17 Jun 2013, 06:00

In Friends games ONLY you can reenter a game from which you have surrendered - see http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38408&sid=65641cdc00f1a09e2b774f70ac95b551#p673635. However, I have no idea if this will allow you to name a substitute who was in the game in a Friends game, I suspect not. But since you can reenter the game, you could surrender and get your friend to pick up the country, and then repeat the process in reverse when you get back.

But I have to agree with Jaelis, I do not think it necessarily a good idea for the game. The function was actually included to cover the situation where one player (maybe not knowing the rules) accidentally gets auto-surrendered and wants to come back, and all the others are happy for him/her to do so. However, since it is a Friends game it is entirely up to you :)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 931

Postby Petunia » 17 Jun 2013, 07:52

asudevil wrote:It wont...you can NEVER re-enter a game you have surrendered from...as that country or any other country.

Just to re-iterate the point Dipsy just made more directly, this is incorrect for Friends games.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Netr0 » 17 Jun 2013, 08:12

Petunia wrote:
asudevil wrote:It wont...you can NEVER re-enter a game you have surrendered from...as that country or any other country.

Just to re-iterate the point Dipsy just made more directly, this is incorrect for Friends games.

Just to re-clarify... I was right ;p
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Standard rating: (1315)
All-game rating: (1649)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby gareth66 » 17 Jun 2013, 08:17

And just to apply this to the question asked in the OP, no you cannot rejoin as another country, even in a Friends game. You can only rejoin, having surrendered, as your original country.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use