Rules and etiquette in PPO

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Rules and etiquette in PPO

Postby coggas » 08 May 2013, 04:52

Dear Team,

It was recently suggested by another player in PPO game that you are not allowed to identify yourself, this was sorted as the rules explicitly say you are allowed to identify yourself, as everyone gets the same info...

Now what if you pretend to be someone else? i.e. 'Identify' yourself as a different player, I cannot see how this could be stopped or policed? The other player may not be happy with the situation, especially if you play badly or act like goose. Of couse all would be revealed at the end of the game, but not all players may necessarily check the game after it has finished, like if they surrendered or were snuffed out...

This is not a tactic that I plan to use but I would be interested to hear of others thoughts on the matter...discuss...
coggas

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1113)
All-game rating: (1324)
Timezone: GMT+10

Re: Rules and etiquette in PPO

Postby asudevil » 08 May 2013, 04:54

My only issue with having people do this is if you do it honestly it may allow for people to communicate OUTSIDE the game especially in a PPO game. But that's my 2 cents. I was stunned its allowed and plan on asking Rick.leeds about it when he gets back from his well deserved AWOL time...

I don't mind you ID'ing yourself as someone else, but I don't really see the advantage of it.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby coggas » 08 May 2013, 05:01

I see the point, if one identifies one self, then someone else could PM that person especially if they use the same name on the forum as on the site. Of course the contactor would then be in violation of the rules, no argument there.
coggas

Postby SaltySailor » 08 May 2013, 05:22

Coggas, it was not that you identified yourself. The problem was that you identified another player in an anonymous PPO game, incorrectly I might add, and attributed characteristics to that player from outside the game. That kind of petty jr high drama has no place in a game of Diplomacy. Diplomacy is about the strategy and the role playing of the moment. It's not about fights/resentment you may be harboring for another player from past games. Especially when you take those attitudes and use them to try and rally support against a player by name, one that you've incorrectly and illegally identified in PPO.

Play the game and leave the school yard stuff out of it.

If the petty drama is allowed, then I've misjudged this site and would need to find another place to play the world's best board game, Diplomacy.
`
¸¸„‹`˭˭˭˭˭˭˭|≡≡≡≡````````````````Salty Sailor`````````````≡≡≡≡„*|°„≡≡
ˡ-©---©......Classicists Platinum, Oldies, and Cup of Nations Team USA.....‘„¸¸„’`*•›„¸¸„.
SaltySailor

Standard rating: (963)
All-game rating: (1309)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby eldubby » 08 May 2013, 06:27

Well my two cents is more like a half cent as I'm just not that good at PPO games. As I have only played a few and not rather well. I don't know the specific rules on the subject but if you can openly discuss moves and request support etc and still stab then I would think saying who you are or even lying about who you are would be fair game. PM the player outside of the game even just to confirm or unconfirm would be an egregious violation of the rules. Identifying another player right or wrong could also be a tactic to get others to attack but I don't feel that it is really in the spirit of the game itself but if there is not rule saying you can't do it then so be it.
As far as calling out a player in forum about it because it happened in a game ,is well , just as petty Jr high drama when coggas was just asking a general opinion question not bringing the drama out by the bike rack.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
eldubby
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1454)
All-game rating: (1595)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby coggas » 08 May 2013, 08:20

Dear Salty,

As that game is still in progress I will refrain, as you should also, from commenting. I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of the game once it is finished. But to say this: The fact that you have identified yourself outside of the game, and the only way you could know the details is if you are in it, you have just violated the first rule of PPO. Touche. I will refrain from commenting on your assertion/accusation of the legality of any tactics at this point. And suggest that you or a Mod EDIT or remove both your post and these comments.
coggas

Postby coggas » 08 May 2013, 08:26

Thanks eldubby

I was just making a general comment/question and not referring to any particular game OR situation, past or present. I guess the point that you correctly note is that: If it ain't against the rules it's O.K. But that brings to the fore the 'unwritten' rule of etiquette...does this apply and if so to what degree in a game of diplomacy? Or this just personal choice.

C.
coggas

Postby Peanut » 08 May 2013, 09:13

If it doesn't break the rules then it's allowed.
The idea of 'etiquette' is just imposing some additional rules on yourself that aren't actually part of the game. This is meant to be a sneaky cut-throat game and deception and mis-direction are all part of it. Pretending to be someone else or wrongly outing another player, for whatever reason, can be part of this.
When I played-by-mail in the '90s there were stories of people writing to enemy's pretending to be another player and even a case of someone producing a fake 'zine early to gain an advantage.
It's fine if you want to play 'nice', but if you do, then be aware that the other guy, who doesn't have your scruples, already has an advantage.
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)
Timezone: GMT

Postby coggas » 08 May 2013, 10:27

Thanks Peanut,

Obviously this confirms that fact that a peanut is not a nut, rather a legume, but either way I will still root for you ;-)

C.
coggas

Postby Zadaron » 08 May 2013, 10:39

coggas wrote:Dear Salty,

As that game is still in progress I will refrain, as you should also, from commenting. I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of the game once it is finished. But to say this: The fact that you have identified yourself outside of the game, and the only way you could know the details is if you are in it, you have just violated the first rule of PPO. Touche. I will refrain from commenting on your assertion/accusation of the legality of any tactics at this point. And suggest that you or a Mod EDIT or remove both your post and these comments.

Does it matter if he's identified that he's in the game, even if he hasn't revealed what power he is playing as?
Genghis Khan wrote:The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters
Zadaron

Standard rating: (991)
All-game rating: (1416)
Timezone: GMT+1

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use