playing vs the same players

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

playing vs the same players

Postby tomfromparis » 07 May 2013, 08:27

Hello all.

I'm not so new to Diplomacy but I'm quite new to the online hobby.
As y'all know, I guess, there are players you "meet" and enjoy to play against because of the quality of their negociation/communication, strategies and commitment.

I wonder if it's allowed to play against the same players in different games in a row (not simultaneously).

I've been searching through the rules but I haven't been able to find the answer. I must have missed it.

Thanks for enlightening me :D

tom.
Did you know, that if the worst thing that happens to you is you lose some Supply Centers and get wiped from the board then you should consider it a damn good day.
tomfromparis

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1233)
All-game rating: (1242)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: playing vs the same players

Postby bindlestiff » 07 May 2013, 08:48

Yes, playing with the same people in multiple, or consecutive, games is allowed. What is NOT allowed is setting up alliances in advance of the game, or making alliances for reasons unrelated to the game itself (e.g., establishing an alliance with your friend Joe simply because he is your friend, rather than because he is controls Austria and you control Germany).

Although playing with friends, whose style you know and can anticipate, is fun, I've also found that one of the delights of this site is the variety of players you encounter, which gives to each game a different flavor and a level of unpredictability that one doesn't always get when playing with friends.
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1331)
All-game rating: (1388)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby bindlestiff » 07 May 2013, 08:51

By the way, here are the house rules. Rules 8-22 are particularly apt:

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=34415#p593497
-- bindlestiff
-- Platinum Classicist, Star Ambassador, card-carrying Oldie, and all-around prince of a guy

"La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée." (We were given speech to hide our thoughts.)
-- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord
bindlestiff
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1331)
All-game rating: (1388)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Netr0 » 07 May 2013, 15:04

Another thing is if they both play live games then odds are likely they have many games together. Like myself, a live player, have played many games with the same people. If anything it makes the game harder, if before, you had stabbed them.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Standard rating: (1315)
All-game rating: (1649)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby tomfromparis » 07 May 2013, 23:38

Ok thanks guys.

I agree it's good to play vs different people but it's hard to find cunning and commited players.

I can't wait to join the Classicists but 'til then I'd like to start invitationnal games with reliable good players if possible.
Especially since I don't play more than 1 game at a time.

So this is when I thought I'd invite some of the players I really enjoyed playing with, and don't think old deals or alliances in previous games will create friendship in a new game...Our agreements never lasted and I fought with all of the players I have in mind already :mrgreen:
Did you know, that if the worst thing that happens to you is you lose some Supply Centers and get wiped from the board then you should consider it a damn good day.
tomfromparis

Standard rating: (1233)
All-game rating: (1242)
Timezone: GMT+1

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use