Replacement player protocol

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Replacement player protocol

Postby moodyeagle25 » 10 Mar 2013, 04:10

What is the official protocol for advertising for a replacement player? Is it the responsibility of the game creator to do so as soon as someone NMR's out of his game? Or is it acceptable for anyone to do it?

Another question: is there a way to tell whether someone has NMR'd, as opposed to inputting orders for all units to hold?

Thanks.
"It is not sufficient that I succeed. All others must fail."
--Genghis Khan
moodyeagle25

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Replacement player protocol

Postby Piquinya » 10 Mar 2013, 04:51

moodyeagle25 wrote:What is the official protocol for advertising for a replacement player? Is it the responsibility of the game creator to do so as soon as someone NMR's out of his game? Or is it acceptable for anyone to do it?

Another question: is there a way to tell whether someone has NMR'd, as opposed to inputting orders for all units to hold?

Thanks.

1- There is no official protocol, as far as I know... anyone can advertise for a replacement.

2- There is no way to know for sure if someone is not playing... as you pointed out, apparent NMR could be all just hold orders. However, missing two order phases in a row leads to an automatic surrender.
Former Moderator of the Oldies Group.
Member of the Classicists, Platinum tier.

Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra?
Piquinya

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1429)
All-game rating: (1569)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby gareth66 » 10 Mar 2013, 11:21

So the only way you will be able to know anything is if a player's orders are recored as all-HOLD for two consecutive turns and he is not auto-surrendered. Then you will know that at least one of the two all-HOLD orders was not an NMR but was deliberately input. And in certain circumstances not even then, as if there were retreat or build orders entered after the first apparent NMR there could still have been two genuine consecutive NMRs without an auto-surrender.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby moodyeagle25 » 10 Mar 2013, 18:02

Understood. Thank you.
"It is not sufficient that I succeed. All others must fail."
--Genghis Khan
moodyeagle25

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)

Postby ButteredSoul » 20 Mar 2013, 22:51

We just had a player NMR last season in my current game. Maybe he simply ordered all units to hold, but I'd be surprised.

Even though the NMR benefits my alliance, as a Diplomacy player it severely damages the "sanctity" of a game. It has a tremendous impact as far as the fun-level and sense that a victory was truly earned or a defeat actually deserved.

My suggestion is to have the option, when setting up a game, that when a player NMRs the game basically freezes and allows the creator of the game to find a replacement. The replacement then gets time to do some diplomacy and submit orders. The option to NMR and Hold all units would remain if needed (for those cases when someone on their deathbed NMRs or if a replacement cannot be found).

And I don't know if this happens, but maybe a player who NMRs should have some sort of rank or blacklist penalty as well.

Just some suggestions for an already awesome website.
ButteredSoul

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1053)
All-game rating: (1052)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby jaelis » 20 Mar 2013, 23:36

This has been suggested before, and a significant minority of posters supports the idea. I think it was on dipsy's to do list, but the lower level of support for it meant it never made it to the top.
jaelis

Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)

Postby Petunia » 21 Mar 2013, 00:05

Look into joining the Classicists, who self-police their membership for surrenders and NMRs.

Look into passworded games. Surrenders and NMRs are significantly lower in those games.

I understand the site is looking into creating a "reliability index" of sorts and introducing the option to restrict the players who join a game to those who rarely NMR or surrender.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Gustave » 18 Apr 2013, 21:16

Quick question... maybe we're missing something obvious, but a group of friends are playing a game and one of us NMR's for two turns. He was summarily booted out. We have another friend willing to take his spot, but apparently he's unable to joint the game. What are we doing wrong?
Thanks!
Gustave

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (978)

Postby gareth66 » 18 Apr 2013, 21:37

Could be that someone else has already signed up for the game?

(What's the game number?)
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby Gustave » 18 Apr 2013, 21:46

It's password protected, so I think that's unlikely.
Gustave

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (978)

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use