Inapproriate Communication

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Inapproriate Communication

Postby Poulp13 » 10 Jul 2020, 14:00

Hello there,

In game "177623. Europe on fire!", currently ongoing, I was subject to insults and direspect from player _bkj_ which I believe are incompatible with fair play regulations.

I was told to "fuck off" and "shut the hell up", and publicly called an ass****.

I understand that good sportsmanship, albeit desirable, cannot really be enforced, but outright lack of respect and offensive language shouldn't be tolerated, right?

Regards,
Poulp13
Poulp13

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1161
All-game rating: 1221
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Inapproriate Communication

Postby V » 10 Jul 2020, 14:13

Poulp13 wrote:Hello there,

In game "177623. Europe on fire!", currently ongoing, I was subject to insults and direspect from player _bkj_ which I believe are incompatible with fair play regulations.

I was told to "fuck off" and "shut the hell up", and publicly called an ass****.

I understand that good sportsmanship, albeit desirable, cannot really be enforced, but outright lack of respect and offensive language shouldn't be tolerated, right?

Regards,
Poulp13

Must admit, I’ve seen worse. Disrespect & insults are quite common in Diplomacy.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Poulp13 » 10 Jul 2020, 17:13

V wrote:

Regards,
Poulp13

Must admit, I’ve seen worse. Disrespect & insults are quite common in Diplomacy.

You've seen worse? So that means it's acceptable to insult someone on this website?
Poulp13

Standard rating: 1161
All-game rating: 1221

Postby adebruyn666 » 10 Jul 2020, 17:21

No, it shouldn't be tolerated.

G. DEALING WITH CYBER-BULLYING
1. Inappropriate content in games.
(b) Public Press posts. Any posts – written, image, gif, video or links to sites which contain inappropriate – should be brought to a Mod’s attention using the Report Inappropriate button in the game’s Public Press box. The Mod will assess the content and take any appropriate action.

Cheers.
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." --- General Douglas MacArthur.
"Diplomacy: destroying friendship since 1959." --- My favorite t-shirt

Star Ambassador, Platinum Classicist, and a f*ing son of a bitch (according to ungrateful friends I introduced to the game)
adebruyn666
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1402
All-game rating: 1839

Postby Strategus » 10 Jul 2020, 17:38

Calling someone an asshole in pp is quite mild really.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1652
Timezone: GMT

Postby Strategus » 10 Jul 2020, 17:39

In fact, it's almost a complement.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

UK f2f Champion 2019
Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1546
All-game rating: 1652
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 10 Jul 2020, 17:41

Poulp13 wrote:
V wrote:

Regards,
Poulp13

You've seen worse? So that means it's acceptable to insult someone on this website?

Don’t know what a moderator will rule in this instance, but to answer your question yes it’s acceptable.
Insults are permissible & commonplace. It’s Diplomacy, not Monopoly. The language used in delivering the insult would be the dodgy aspect here. Let’s see what happens but I’ve seen lots worse (some directed at myself) & preferred to ignore it as an insignificant indiscretion.
It’s ineffective as a diplomatic tool, so usually the author meets a rapid demise. I was brought up in the “sticks & stones” era, which I know is no longer with us & folks are more sensitive. Whether that’s progress is another debate.

Best Regards V
Last edited by V on 10 Jul 2020, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1778
All-game rating: 1829
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 10 Jul 2020, 20:00

The thing to keep in mind is that mods are absolutely willing to look into these complaints, but the best way to get that to happen is to use the forum PM system to contact either the "Mods" or "SITE HELP!" group (which you can select from a list shown in the top-right corner of the New Message interface).

It's debatable whether being publicly called a mildly profane term would count as abuse or cyberbullying. There's certainly an element of Diplomacy that not only permits personal insults but also deliberately eschews concepts like good sportsmanship in general.

So what counts as abuse? That's a grey area, but we're trying to do a better job in identifying it and clamping down, as some players have run rampant with racist, homophobic, abusive, or sexually explicit language in their communications for years. And that needs to stop.

But we're also not going to punish every player who insults another player or uses a bit of mild profanity. Start by contacting the mods and see what they say, but understand that part of Diplomacy's own definition of sportsmanship is going to be quite different from what is used in most other contexts.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jack007 » 10 Jul 2020, 23:53

Strategus wrote:Calling someone an asshole in pp is quite mild really.

Strategus wrote:In fact, it's almost a complement.

Yes indeed. For example you could have been called a dick.
Happens to me all the time. :shock:
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1531
All-game rating: 1669

Postby UM85 » 11 Jul 2020, 18:15

I can't say that any of those pejoratives crossed the lines as outlined in the rules as I read them. A thicker skin may be in order. Part of the challenge of this highly emotional game is maintaining one's cool when someone has lost their head and is spewing. However, if you're able to do it, remain respectful and perhaps even inject some disarming humor in there somewhere, you can sometimes manage to turn it to your advantage. And when the moment comes to slide the knife in, it feels ... extra nice. :twisted:
UM85

Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)
Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use