SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Games with the intention to fight 'till the bitter end!

Moderators: sjg11, DOI

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Zanmor » 17 Aug 2009, 03:10

For Atlantic Solo:

I, Zanmor, do hereby pledge, by my free will, without any duress being applied to be, and being of sound mind, in the witness of the Mods and gamers of this forum, that I will commit myself to winning this game outright to the best of my ability. Should one of the seven prove to be an Oathbreaker in this regard, I will spurn all talks of enacting a draw and will dutifully fight until no such draw can take place. Should a stalemate occur and all players agree, all alliances are broken and it is every person for itself. I pledge to not surrender, and continue active participation in the shoutbox if I should be defeated, as I continue to have a vote in the stalemate agreement.

Signed, Zanmor
Diplomacy League

Round 2 Draft Choice of Freebooters

Hypereconomic Diplomacy Reborn!
And the site is actually up again!
http://www.hediplomacy.com

eRepublik: Join up!
http://www2.erepublik.com/en/referrer/Zanmor
User avatar
Zanmor
 
Posts: 527
Joined: 13 Feb 2009, 01:23
Location: Ohio
Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Thenkyn » 17 Aug 2009, 17:28

For Atlantic Solo:

I, Thenkyn, do hereby pledge, by my free will, without any duress being applied to be, and being of sound mind, in the witness of the Mods and gamers of this forum, that I will commit myself to winning this game outright to the best of my ability. Should one of the seven prove to be an Oathbreaker in this regard, I will spurn all talks of enacting a draw and will dutifully fight until no such draw can take place. Should a stalemate occur and all players agree, all alliances are broken and it is every person for itself. I pledge to not surrender, and continue active participation in the shoutbox if I should be defeated, as I continue to have a vote in the stalemate agreement.
Thenkyn
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Oct 2008, 22:00
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Steppenwulf » 17 Aug 2009, 18:21

Thenkyn wrote:For Atlantic Solo:

I, Thenkyn, do hereby pledge, by my free will, without any duress being applied to be, and being of sound mind, in the witness of the Mods and gamers of this forum, that I will commit myself to winning this game outright to the best of my ability. Should one of the seven prove to be an Oathbreaker in this regard, I will spurn all talks of enacting a draw and will dutifully fight until no such draw can take place. Should a stalemate occur and all players agree, all alliances are broken and it is every person for itself. I pledge to not surrender, and continue active participation in the shoutbox if I should be defeated, as I continue to have a vote in the stalemate agreement.


ditto
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"
Friedrich Nietzsche
User avatar
Steppenwulf
 
Posts: 510
Joined: 08 Mar 2009, 05:55
Location: Canada
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Pedros » 17 Aug 2009, 18:26

Steppenwulf wrote:
Thenkyn wrote:For Atlantic Solo:

I, Thenkyn, do hereby pledge, by my free will, without any duress being applied to be, and being of sound mind, in the witness of the Mods and gamers of this forum, that I will commit myself to winning this game outright to the best of my ability. Should one of the seven prove to be an Oathbreaker in this regard, I will spurn all talks of enacting a draw and will dutifully fight until no such draw can take place. Should a stalemate occur and all players agree, all alliances are broken and it is every person for itself. I pledge to not surrender, and continue active participation in the shoutbox if I should be defeated, as I continue to have a vote in the stalemate agreement.


ditto

A person of few words I see :!:
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
User avatar
Pedros
 
Posts: 12465
Joined: 25 Jan 2009, 12:59
Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Steppenwulf » 17 Aug 2009, 18:42

Pedros wrote:
Steppenwulf wrote:
Thenkyn wrote:For Atlantic Solo:

I, Thenkyn, do hereby pledge, by my free will, without any duress being applied to be, and being of sound mind, in the witness of the Mods and gamers of this forum, that I will commit myself to winning this game outright to the best of my ability. Should one of the seven prove to be an Oathbreaker in this regard, I will spurn all talks of enacting a draw and will dutifully fight until no such draw can take place. Should a stalemate occur and all players agree, all alliances are broken and it is every person for itself. I pledge to not surrender, and continue active participation in the shoutbox if I should be defeated, as I continue to have a vote in the stalemate agreement.


ditto

A person of few words I see :!:


I can be a blabbermouth in the right circumstances. But I don't repeat myself unless the quote is really worth it ;)
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"
Friedrich Nietzsche
User avatar
Steppenwulf
 
Posts: 510
Joined: 08 Mar 2009, 05:55
Location: Canada
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby DOI » 22 Aug 2009, 09:27

I, DOI, do hereby pledge, by my free will, without any duress being applied to be, and being of sound mind, in the witness of the Mods and gamers of this forum, that I will commit myself to winning this game outright to the best of my ability. Should one of the seven prove to be an Oathbreaker in this regard, I will spurn all talks of enacting a draw and will dutifully fight until no such draw can take place. Should a stalemate occur and all players agree, all alliances are broken and it is every person for itself. I pledge to not surrender, and continue active participation in the shoutbox if I should be defeated, as I continue to have a vote in the stalemate agreement.

Signed, DOI

Saying "sound mind" may be a bit of a stretch, but I'm in.
"May the peace last for as long as it remains useful to us."
- Tokugawa, in Civilization IV
User avatar
DOI
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: 02 Jul 2009, 05:06
Location: Edmonton
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby infinity8ball » 29 Aug 2009, 18:46

So what is the status of these games?
User avatar
infinity8ball
Sponsor
Sponsor
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 11:30
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Zanmor » 04 Oct 2009, 23:29

Currently a solo-only game might be reaching a stalemate position. I understand the oath says that all promises will be broken in such an event, but that position is really untenable. The game is Atlantic Solo, #12428. Russia and Turkey are fighting England back from the solo while also swapping a few SCs in the meantime in an effort to gain leverage. Should either push an all out front on the other then it virtually assures England the win. There is still fighting to be done, but I feel that so far all players have endeavored for a solo, no draw ever having been spoken of. Should a strong stalemate line result, being the natural conclusion of a very well-played game on the part of those remaining, might a draw then be offered (obviously then, agreed to by those remaining)?
Diplomacy League

Round 2 Draft Choice of Freebooters

Hypereconomic Diplomacy Reborn!
And the site is actually up again!
http://www.hediplomacy.com

eRepublik: Join up!
http://www2.erepublik.com/en/referrer/Zanmor
User avatar
Zanmor
 
Posts: 527
Joined: 13 Feb 2009, 01:23
Location: Ohio
Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Steppenwulf » 05 Oct 2009, 07:40

Zanmor wrote:Currently a solo-only game might be reaching a stalemate position. I understand the oath says that all promises will be broken in such an event, but that position is really untenable. The game is Atlantic Solo, #12428. Russia and Turkey are fighting England back from the solo while also swapping a few SCs in the meantime in an effort to gain leverage. Should either push an all out front on the other then it virtually assures England the win. There is still fighting to be done, but I feel that so fstaar all players have endeavored for a solo, no draw ever having been spoken of. Should a strong stalemate line result, being the natural conclusion of a very well-played game on the part of those remaining, might a draw then be offered (obviously then, agreed to by those remaining)?


Come on Zanmor - Don't be a crybaby! :D

Actually, I admit this is a legit question. It has come up in every solo only game I have played.

At some point in time, one player is clearly getting very close to a solo. All the other players combine to prevent it and try to create a stalemate position. In the first game the stalemate position was reached. In the second it wasn't, and in this game I think I might be able to avoid it.

In my first solo-only game, all the players voluntarily ended all alliances after a stalemate was demonstrated, which I think is appropriate for the oath we took. I think that the current oath clearly states that once a stalemate position is reached, all alliances must be ended and it is each person for their own profit.

Steppenwulf wrote:
Thenkyn wrote:For Atlantic Solo:

...(snip) Should a stalemate occur and all players agree, all alliances are broken and it is every person for itself. (snip)...


ditto


This is true, even if it allows one player to get the solo, thus actually being against the interest of the players ending their alliances. In fact the rule was created specifically to allow the leader to get that solo.

The more general question is whether we should ask people to sign such an oath, or instead say that draws are allowed in true stalemate positions.

I can see why people would think that it would be more proper to say that if a true stalemate position is reached, draws would be allowed - this actually does adhere to the spirit of the oath, maybe better than our specific oath does.

But these solo-only games were created in part as a reaction to all the endless alliances and draws that some people (myself included) find somewhat boring and against the spirit of the game.

We might change the oath to allow draws in case of a true stalemate, or allow both types of games. If draws were allowed in a stalemate situation, in the future, I would like a stipulation that one side of the stalemate must have only one player (the player who is being prevented from soloing).

Of course this would be for future games with a changed oath ;)
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"
Friedrich Nietzsche
User avatar
Steppenwulf
 
Posts: 510
Joined: 08 Mar 2009, 05:55
Location: Canada
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: SOLO victory only games - JOIN ONE TODAY!

Postby Turret » 11 Oct 2009, 19:14

I am very happy to hear that this site has a solos-only sub-group, and I would be glad to join a game (rank or no rank) after I return from a Holiday on October 25th.
Turret
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 Sep 2008, 21:53
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+2

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Victories Only

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest