Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: Fatmo, JonS, Buachaille

Should admission to the Aspiring Tier be tightened to require that the player has never surrendered?

Poll ended at 05 Sep 2014, 00:52

Yes, for the "less than 5 games played category" but not for the "more than 5 games category".
8
44%
Yes regardless of number of games played, Aspiring Membership should not be available for more than 5 games.
3
17%
No, the criteria are fine as they stand.
7
39%
 
Total votes : 18

Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby gareth66 » 29 Aug 2014, 00:38

Following the discussions in the following two threads...

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=46071
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=46034

...one tweak and one clarification have been made to the admission criteria for the Aspiring Tier.

The clarification is that the defining criteria for "less than 5 games" and "5 games or more" have been changed from games "finished" to games "played". This means that a player can only be admitted on the basis of one game finished if they have PLAYED less than 5 games (including games surrendered from).

The tweak is that for admission on the basis of playing 4 games or less, we will now accept a mentor game (with endorsement from the mentor that the player was reliable) as well as a rank or norank game.

As a result of these two amendments, the admission criteria for the Aspiring Tier now read as follows:

For players who have played less than 5 games:
1 rank or norank game finished (without surrendering), OR 1 mentor game finished (without surrendering, as endorsed by mentor).
No sanction from the site admin for site rule violation within the last month.

For players who have played 5 or more games:
No unjustified surrenders in most recent 4 games.
No more than 5 NMRs in the most recent 5 games.
No sanction from the site admin for site rule violation within the last month.
User avatar
gareth66
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3523
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 18:09
Location: Uk (North Midlands)
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria

Postby gareth66 » 29 Aug 2014, 00:49

A more fundamental question arose during the discussion about the admission criteria, and that is that as presently constituted it is possible to gain admission to the Aspiring Tier (just as it is with all other tiers) having had a surrender to your name at some point. The view was expressed that admission to the Aspiring Tier should only be open to players who have never surrendered.

This proposal requires a separate poll, which will shortly appear at the head of this thread. The poll necessarily has to ask two separate questions, because this principle would have far-reaching implications.

1. Should the criteria for "less than 5 games played" stipulate that the player must have NO surrenders at all?
2. Should the possibility of admission to Aspiring Tier on the basis of 5 games or more played be removed completely?

(This second question would be an inevitable consequence of accepting the principle being proposed, as any player who has played 5 or more games with no surrender would go straight into Bronze. But it may be that people think that previous surrenders are ok if someone has played that many games, just not ok if they are just starting out).

My personal view is that this is not what the Aspiring Tier is about, but let's put it to the vote.
User avatar
gareth66
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3523
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 18:09
Location: Uk (North Midlands)
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby sinnybee » 29 Aug 2014, 01:09

gareth66 wrote:...one tweak and one clarification have been made to the admission criteria for the Aspiring Tier.

The clarification is that the defining criteria for "less than 5 games" and "5 games or more" have been changed from games "finished" to games "played". This means that a player can only be admitted on the basis of one game finished if they have PLAYED less than 5 games (including games surrendered from).

The tweak is that for admission on the basis of playing 4 games or less, we will now accept a mentor game (with endorsement from the mentor that the player was reliable) as well as a rank or norank game.

As a result of these two amendments, the admission criteria for the Aspiring Tier now read as follows:

For players who have played less than 5 games:
1 rank or norank game finished (without surrendering), OR 1 mentor game finished (without surrendering, as endorsed by mentor).
No sanction from the site admin for site rule violation within the last month.

For players who have played 5 or more games:
No unjustified surrenders in most recent 4 games.
No more than 5 NMRs in the most recent 5 games.
No sanction from the site admin for site rule violation within the last month.

Awesome!
Thank you, gareth!

I actually don't care at all at the moment how this poll turns out, I'm just happy that someone with 5 surrenders and 1 non-surrendered finished game can no longer be admitted to the Classicists--excellent change!
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
User avatar
sinnybee
 
Posts: 6087
Joined: 03 Sep 2010, 07:01
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby Mortiferus Rosa » 29 Aug 2014, 02:15

I voted for option 2 and here is why. I personally view the Aspiring Classicists as a step ladder for new players who just dont have the games under their belt to qualify for Bronze membership.

Edit: Also, considering the current requirements (as posted above)... would it really kill them to play one more game without surrendering and just join in at bronze?
R/,

Mortiferus Rosa
Gold Classicist
User avatar
Mortiferus Rosa
 
Posts: 566
Joined: 27 May 2011, 22:04
Location: It Varies...
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1115)
All-game rating: (1118)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby timg » 29 Aug 2014, 02:21

Hi

I have a related question. I do not use the surrender option but I still have 11 surrenders. I believe I was NMRed on a couple of occasions do to lost of internet access or power outages. Is it possible to determine how I obtained these surrenders as they were not an overt act on my part?

Thanks

Tim G
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Gold member of the Classicists
Member of the Oldies
Cup of Nations Team USA
User avatar
timg
 
Posts: 153
Joined: 26 Jan 2011, 04:32
Location: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. .........We must be over the rainbow!
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1056)
All-game rating: (1194)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby gareth66 » 29 Aug 2014, 02:22

timg wrote:Hi

I have a related question. I do not use the surrender option but I still have 11 surrenders. I believe I was NMRed on a couple of occasions do to lost of internet access or power outages. Is it possible to determine how I obtained these surrenders as they were not an overt act on my part?

Thanks

Tim G


Give me a few minutes.
User avatar
gareth66
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3523
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 18:09
Location: Uk (North Midlands)
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby gareth66 » 29 Aug 2014, 02:30

Yes, you've actually got 14 surrenders in total. The last was in May 2014, and the first two were in September 2011. Thise first two were active surrenders on your part, the remainder as far as I can see were all auto-surrenders for NMRing.
User avatar
gareth66
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3523
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 18:09
Location: Uk (North Midlands)
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby gareth66 » 29 Aug 2014, 02:36

gareth66 wrote:Yes, you've actually got 14 surrenders in total. The last was in May 2014, and the first two were in September 2011. Thise first two were active surrenders on your part, the remainder as far as I can see were all auto-surrenders for NMRing.


Incidentally, that surrender in May was only 6 finished games ago. Internet access you say? Hmmm. Well, if you're self-reporting then it is also fair to point out that OTHER than this surrender in May, it was 63 games since your previous surrender. So perhaps we should cut you a little slack on this occasion and leave your Gold membership intact! ;)
User avatar
gareth66
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3523
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 18:09
Location: Uk (North Midlands)
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby Alman » 30 Aug 2014, 04:06

I voted for Option A, but I want to explain and add a caveat.

I endorse A so as to avoid having someone qualify for Aspiring for having one game out of 4 go well while bailing on the other three. Those surrenders should matter as much as they would later for the other levels.

Caveat: I would be very much in favor of a "Statute of Limitations" where a player who has returned and started afresh should be able to then "Aspire".
In such cases the Mods (who do a great job) can have discretion. Like with our brother TimG, there is a difference between a reliable player which has an issue and someone who really isn't trying. I think Gareth & M.R. can make good judgements if the situation warrants.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
User avatar
Alman
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: 04 Feb 2014, 22:04
Location: Beautiful Maine, USA
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Amendments to Aspiring Tier Criteria - and NEW POLL

Postby WHSeward » 30 Aug 2014, 19:57

@gareth,

I'm not sure where to post this factoid, but I have just discovered that NMR stats from SCHOOLS games are included in the published NMR stats. Further, since surrendered players now come up in the games that they surrendered from when you search, SCHOOLS games are not any different than unfinshed norank games from a data availability point of view.

I just want you to have that comfort that including mentor games for eligibility won't make things more difficult so we can keep the application process as it is while still allowing mentor games to count (assuming that is how the polling finished up.)
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
User avatar
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2985
Joined: 29 Dec 2012, 22:16
Location: San Francisco, California, USA
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to Classicists

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests