Better use of the forum?

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Better use of the forum?

Postby GregS » 03 May 2012, 00:34

As a (expected soon-to-be-admitted) new member of the group, I was looking at how things work, and it seemed to me that maybe it's not using the powers of the forum software as optimally as it could. In particular, it seems there's probably a lot of PMs flying around, when there don't need to be.

For example, I had to PM raphtown to request admission to the group, but the forum supports usergroups (which are already used for the Oldies and Whippersnappers groups). If I'm not mistaken, it would be easier for me to request to join a Classicists usergroup (or, presumably, one of the Bronze, Silver, etc. usergroups) than to PM raphtown, and probably easier for him to deal with the request that way too. And the membership list would always be current rather than requiring an update of the BBS post (there could be a link from the post to the list, so it wouldn't really be any harder to find it). On the downside, raphtown's post count would slow down without all the announcements... (Well, actually, nothing stopping him from continuing to post those announcements. ;))

Similarly, having to PM someone for the password to a game seems like overkill. If there was a usergroup, then the Games forum (or, maybe more likely, a "Classicist-only Games" sub-forum, to distinguish from the "Classicists preferred, but not totally strict about it" games) might be available only to members, and then the passwords could just be posted there. The game creator wouldn't have to read PMs, check that the person asking really is a member of the group, and respond; the potential player wouldn't have to send the initial PM or watch for a response.

Sorry if any of this has been discussed and rejected before; I didn't see anything like it in any of the old threads, but I didn't read every single message.
GregS

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Better use of the forum?

Postby rick.leeds » 03 May 2012, 00:40

Yes the Forum accepts user groups but the site owner, Ava, stated that the only user groups he wanted setting up where Oldies and Students.
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby GregS » 03 May 2012, 00:47

Seems like an odd restriction, and I'm reminded of the saying that rules are made to be broken, but it is after all his (otherwise very excellent) site, and if that's how it is, then that's how it is.
GregS

Postby raphtown » 04 May 2012, 20:45

Believe me, if there was an easier way I would do it. ;)

As for outstanding application, I will be getting to them this weekend.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby GregS » 07 May 2012, 23:39

Well, it seems to me that there is, technically, an easier way. I wasn't sure if the people involved knew that it was even possible. Seems that the easier way is not available due to policy restrictions, rather than any lack of knowledge, and the current way works, so all's well.
GregS

Return to Classicists