2021 Face-to-Face Events

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

2021 Face-to-Face Events

Postby VGhost » 26 Nov 2020, 06:43

This calendar post is intended to alert people to upcoming events organized by the face-to-face Hobby. Shoot me a PM or post below and I'll try to keep this compiled. I'll be adding in a few I know of already as I have time. Currently these events in the US and elsewhere are occurring virtually, but I'm sure we're all hoping to get back to playing live as soon as possible.

December 2020

January
Cascadia Open (conducted virtually)

February

Virtual Events
The face-to-face Hobby's also organized a number of events that are planned as virtual events, possibly to continue after normal events resume. The interface is generally Discord for communications and backstabbr to host games.

Ongoing: Virtual Diplomacy League - roughly monthly game dates, to conclude in January 2021
December 18th-20th: Virtual World Diplomacy Classic - up to six rounds plus top board, scheduled for world-wide participation
February, dates TBD: Diplomacy Broadcast Network Invitational - 28 invitees based on results of other tournaments
Last edited by VGhost on 26 Nov 2020, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 901
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2021 Face-to-Face Events

Postby Jack007 » 26 Nov 2020, 11:45

These are not Face-to-Face Events.

In fact, we have here just online Diplomacy with videochat. The faces may be 1000 miles apart from each other. And a ranking system based on center counting doesn't make a FtF game, not even a Diplomacy game, you know it all.

Anyway, I understand that exact language isn't anymore what it used to be, and facts can be alternative, nowadays. And Trump has won the elections, and Neil Armstrong has never been on the moon, right? :?

Jack
Last edited by Jack007 on 26 Nov 2020, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1519
All-game rating: 1619
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby dib » 26 Nov 2020, 13:35

I dont often agree with Jack but this time he has a point :lol:
Last edited by dib on 26 Nov 2020, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
dib

Standard rating: (1824)
All-game rating: (1942)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jack007 » 26 Nov 2020, 14:59

Maybe they should create a new subforum of the Games forum: Virtual Games (or something similar).

I gonna propose that on the Suggestions forum.

Jack
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1519
All-game rating: 1619
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby VGhost » 26 Nov 2020, 15:52

Admittedly, yes, the current events I put on there are virtual and planned that way. I'll go back and indicate that. At the same time, they're largely being organized by the F2F Hobby rather than any of the online organizers.

The calendar is really meant for the tournaments that would normally be taking place in person, and by the end of next year certainly I expect will be - in referring to those as "face to face" even when they're happening virtually by necessity, I'm following what seems to be the consensus of the F2F Hobby.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 901
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Face-to-Face