2018 North American FtF Tournaments (and some house games!)

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Re: 2018 North American FtF Tournaments

Postby StarMonkey » 19 Nov 2017, 04:51

nanooktheeskimo wrote:The time of year isn't great for me while in college still, but you never know, stranger things have happened!

Youre in college? Room and food and alcohol are on me. If we are driving, I'll get that too. I won't commit to the airfare, though.
When playing at war, always remember the origins of war:
1) I raid your cave to steal food and kidnap your women.
2) You raid my cave to steal food and kidnap my women.
3) Someone's kid gets hurt.
4) It all goes downhill from there
StarMonkey
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1107)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WHSeward » 19 Nov 2017, 07:11

Fatmo wrote:
StarMonkey wrote:Whipping might also be particularly interesting to me because the person who taught me Diplomacy is a Bay Area F2F guy, and I know he went to Whipping last year. He's been in the hobby for a long time I believe.

Who was that?
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Fatmo » 19 Nov 2017, 09:02

WHSeward wrote:
Fatmo wrote:
StarMonkey wrote:Whipping might also be particularly interesting to me because the person who taught me Diplomacy is a Bay Area F2F guy, and I know he went to Whipping last year. He's been in the hobby for a long time I believe.

Who was that?

Tom Hilton. I know him through family. He showed me the game when I was maybe twelve or thirteen. Though I never was able to play a full game with seven players (other than that diplomacy game with the terrible AI) until I started playing here something like ten or twelve years later.

I'm not sure how much he plays anymore or anything like that. But I remember looking at the Whipping's facebook stuff from last year and he was there.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby jimbobicus » 19 Nov 2017, 13:14

I've never played face to face but been meaning to do so. How does it typically work?
How long per phase?
How do you decide who speaks to whom? Can people talk in private away from other countries?

If tourists are allowed, I'm kind of tempted by going for a 10 day holiday to California at end of March, play some beach volleyball and enter the San Jose tournament. It would be an easy time of year to get time off work :)
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Standard rating: (1742)
All-game rating: (1662)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 19 Nov 2017, 13:36

jimbobicus wrote:I've never played face to face but been meaning to do so. How does it typically work?
How long per phase?
How do you decide who speaks to whom? Can people talk in private away from other countries?

I can answer these questions!

So typically phases are 15 minutes for orders, with retreats and builds essentially baked in. You can't talk during retreat or build turns, so it's basically just everyone writes their orders and puts them in the box. Technically this is supposed to be on a 5 minute clock, but when you're playing with a table clock (meaning that the players at the table are in charge of the clock, as opposed to a central clock where everyone is on the same time), it's basically an honor system--don't be a dick about the time you take to write builds, and nobody will harass you.

How you talk to people is pretty simple. If me and you are playing, and I want to talk to you, I'd just say "Hey Jim, come talk to me." Then you'd say "Of course Nanook, let me just grab my pad and pen so you can write my orders for me!" ;)

Seriously though, it's pretty straightforward. During the 15 minute turns, you grab people and talk to them as they're at the table. You usually move off to somewhere out of easy earshot of the table (and where other people from your board aren't already talking). Again, there's something of an etiquette to this, in that it's considered rude to barge into someone else's conversation and grab the other person away...but if you spend 14 of the 15 minutes talking to someone that's also kind of rude (and kind of a hat tip as to who you're working with!). As always, there are exceptions to etiquette, but if you do break or disturb it you want to be doing it on purpose and be prepared for people to potentially be annoyed.

Some tournaments use drop dead timing--meaning that your orders have to be written and turned in when the clock goes off. Others do not, which means that there's a short window to write your orders after the deadline has ended (I believe this is technically 5 minutes, but for the most part it's the honor system again, of don't be a dick and we won't put you on the clock. On the other hand, sometimes it can be a legitimate strategy to use all the time allotted to you, but you probably want to let people know you're doing that as a courtesy. So there's a little wiggle room, but the basic idea is don't be a dick about it).

Hope that answers your questions clearly! Happy to clarify or expand as needed, or answer more questions if you have them. I'm not an expert by any means, but I know enough to give you some decent answers :)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 19 Nov 2017, 13:38

jimbobicus wrote:I've never played face to face but been meaning to do so. How does it typically work?
How long per phase?

If tourists are allowed, I'm kind of tempted by going for a 10 day holiday to California at end of March, play some beach volleyball and enter the San Jose tournament. It would be an easy time of year to get time off work :)

In my experience as a new player, new players are generally very welcomed!

If you can make it to whipping, I highly recommend giving it a shot. I feel very confident saying that you'll get a warm welcome, at the very least out of the game, it's up to you how you do inside the games ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 19 Nov 2017, 17:27

Fatmo wrote:I was thinking of trying out Whipping myself ASU. Never tried a tournament before.

We can be first timers together.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby StarMonkey » 19 Nov 2017, 18:12

God damn..... now I have to go to whipping. When I moved away from Carmel-by-the-Sea I swore I'd never set foot in California again.

Damn, damn, damn.....
When playing at war, always remember the origins of war:
1) I raid your cave to steal food and kidnap your women.
2) You raid my cave to steal food and kidnap my women.
3) Someone's kid gets hurt.
4) It all goes downhill from there
StarMonkey
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1107)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 23 Dec 2017, 12:14

Updated with Whipping's facebook page, and stickied to the top of the forum for easier access.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 28 Jan 2018, 00:28

Updated again with the dates for Liberty Cup in Philadelphia, August 3-5.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Face-to-Face