WDC 2016 Results Thread

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

WDC 2016 Results Thread

Postby luckythirteen » 27 Jun 2016, 02:21

Thought I would start a thread for anyone who wanted to post their impressions and results of the 2016 WDC

Just wrapped up the event. Just like in most of my online games I finished towards the middle of the pack. This was my first face to face tournament ever. I learned a ton and had a great time. My best result came in the first round as part of a 3 way draw with Austria and my ally Germany (who said he plays mostly online games, not sure on which site). That German went on to win best Germany for the whole tournament. I also played with a few other online players from Webdip who were very strong players. Most notably for me personally there was one board that featured two former world champions and despite my worst Russian performance ever (in any game, and that is saying something because I play Russia poorly) and repeated attempts of mine to ally with one world champ to keep the online player's Turkey in the box, the online player managed to come back, put me out of my misery, and make it a competitive games. I loved to see the online players make a strong showing.

I highly recommend this to anyone interested in the Diplomacy hobby. It was a very friendly group of players who are easy to talk to because you immediately have a shared interest. Plus, for the most part Diplomacy players love to hear themselves talk so once you start asking questions you can go on for hours! :) It is really neat to meet other players who take this hobby as seriously as you do.

Another highlight of the game for me was getting eliminated as Turkey by Edi Birsan's Italy. Edi's original article about the Lepanto opening is one of the things that helped me learn the game was much deeper than something like Risk and it was an honor to get to share a board with him and so many others who have published such great (and questionable!) strategy articles over the years. It was also fun to see these same giants within the hobby make mistakes and realize they are only human too.

A few suggestions to online players interested in tournament play:

1. If at all possible try to get at least one friendly game with a running central clock. Set it to go off after 12 minutes. All orders must be in before the deadline or they NMR. When the alarm goes off, IMMEDIATELY proceed to the next season. All order writing, retreats, adjustments, and draw votes must be done within this time period. There are never any pauses.

In the actual tournament you have more time in the early seasons but getting used to the shorter time period helps force you to make quick decisions.I am not sure if this is a typical setup for all tournaments or specific to this one but either way I think it is important to get used to fast decisions. You don't have time to find the perfect decision. Sometimes making a less than optimal decision is better than no decision. Pro tip from watching the other players, take a few seconds before you start negotiations to pencil in some basic orders "gunboat" style so you have something written. You can always scratch your orders our during negotiations but if you wait until the last second your odds of a misorder go way up and it's easier to be swayed by lest second strategy changes. The corollary is to be ready for last second strategy changes and know that when time is short you can make quick adjustments but probably not a complete change in direction.

If you can't get in any face to face games, live games with similar timelines are a reasonable substitute. It isn't the same, but certainly better than nothing. Gunboat games are OK just so you get experience with different board positions but IMHO the diplomacy is more important than the tactics from what I observed. I was also eliminated twice so take that with a grain of salt. :D Oh, and remember to pay attention to the retreats. There is no computer to tell you what the valid spaces that you can retreat to are.

3. Prepare for emotions. In online play some people get emotional but you are not there to see it. There is also time for people to make decisions after they have had time to cool their heads. This is not the case at a tournament. I observed quite a bit of dot throwing in retaliation for stabs ( real or perceived), notepads thrown on the ground in disgust, misorders due to stress and emotions, and people storming off the board in anger. By far this was the exception, but the dot throwing in particular happened enough to where I think it needs to be called out. To get on the top board with this many players, you really needed at least one solo and one decent game or 4 really good games. I think there were some people who had a "top board or bust" mentality so they made it clear if they didn't get their way, they basically had no reason to keep playing and would rather punish someone for taking their dots. Recognizing who these players are could be used as an advantage and is just one other element in your negotiations. Not every player plays for the same reasons to recognizing this is an important element of the game. I don't think I really understood this until having gone through this process.

4. Go! Have fun! I had so much fun this weekend. I am exhausted but I would love to do this again. I had so much fun. If you are an online player who is even the slightest bit interested, do yourself a favor and go try it. Tournament Diplomacy is a Diplomacy "variant" of sorts with subtle differences in the same way that online play is a "variant". The scoring system does make people play a little differently than in a single board game with the rules as written. However, it is by far the best way to get in consistent games with friendly people who are passionate about the hobby. Go!

Last random facts. There were more solos as Italy than any other country. Best Italy had 20 centers, and the 2016 WDC Champion Chris Brand won the top board playing Italy. Conversely, it was an awful tournament to draw Turkey or Austria.

Link to a few game recaps, analysis, and player bios by former World Champ Chris Martin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnmsOo_2 ... fy0&sns=em. Supposedly there will be more to come.
Last edited by luckythirteen on 27 Jun 2016, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

--Aristotle
luckythirteen

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (956)
All-game rating: (1007)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: WDC Results Thread

Postby asudevil » 27 Jun 2016, 02:51

I watched the twitch stream of the game when they were saying France had it.

Even mid-late they were saying France had it...but Italy has SO many open centers near it...it was an interesting board especially when Germany went all kamikaze.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby luckythirteen » 27 Jun 2016, 02:57

I hope they post the twitch feed somewhere. I didn't get the chance to watch until the very end because I was playing a different board. Sounds like France may have gotten too big too quickly? By the time I saw it he was already declining.

--Aristotle
luckythirteen

Postby asudevil » 27 Jun 2016, 04:36

luckythirteen wrote:I hope they post the twitch feed somewhere. I didn't get the chance to watch until the very end because I was playing a different board. Sounds like France may have gotten too big too quickly? By the time I saw it he was already declining.

He hit 10 early...and finished pissing people off...but it was early enough for everyone to get together and push him back. But even after he had started to show that he was going to be blocked...and that England could take BEL...the commentators were talking about how it was his to lose (I guess he co-hosts a show with the main guy who was twitching). And when you looked at Italy...with no one really near him and he was in TRI and so Austria couldn't even get a build if he GOT a build...he had a very good position.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: WDC 2016 Results Thread

Postby luckythirteen » 29 Jun 2016, 19:44

After action video of my Round 3 survival as Austria. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7w0P5em_ww&sns=em

Crazy game, was thrilled to manage to come out alive.

--Aristotle
luckythirteen

Postby Carebear » 30 Jun 2016, 06:00

luckythirteen wrote:Another highlight of the game for me was getting eliminated as Turkey by Edi Birsan's Italy. Edi's original article about the Lepanto opening is one of the things that helped me learn the game was much deeper than something like Risk and it was an honor to get to share a board with him and so many others who have published such great (and questionable!) strategy articles over the years. It was also fun to see these same giants within the hobby make mistakes and realize they are only human too.

+1 for mentioning Edi Birsan!

I hope a broadcast of the game gets put somewhere, like youtube. Maybe need to see what was on the the WebDip shadow game. Seems to me the likeliest candidates were whittled down first, Moore, Yeargin, and Maletsky. For some reason, I really don't like the way Silverman plays. I just felt bad for John Gramila. He soloed, but he didn't have another solid game to put him onto the top board.

I just missed the silver board, had there been one. Had solid games, but maybe under played a bit. One game got about all I could, one I had no opportunity, one I listened to another player when I knew the right move and cost me points in the end, and one I could have made a challenge to board top and even solo, but it was the fourth round and tiredly wimped out.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby JimTheGrey » 10 Jul 2016, 01:08

Pretty sure you two -- Luckythirteen and Carebear -- played together in one of the rounds. In fact, one of you wrote about the other without knowing it.

Glad you both had fun!

JtG
JimTheGrey

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Carebear » 10 Jul 2016, 04:09

JimTheGrey wrote:Pretty sure you two -- Luckythirteen and Carebear -- played together in one of the rounds. In fact, one of you wrote about the other without knowing it.

Glad you both had fun!

JtG

Yes Jim, we did indeed. That is if the self-declaration as Bryan wasn't a misdirect. :?

Though, I don't think I wrote about him and if he did about me I missed it.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear

Postby Carebear » 10 Jul 2016, 04:16

Nicely run tournament by the way. Don't think I saw a bit of hysterics that can occasionally arise.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear

Postby JimTheGrey » 10 Jul 2016, 20:19

My Tournament Director's report is finally up and includes the final standings plus the team tournament standings and game-by-game summaries. Check it out at http://windycityweasels.org/wdc2016.

JtG
JimTheGrey

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to Face-to-Face