2016 WDC Early News

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

2016 WDC Early News

Postby Carebear » 25 Jun 2016, 12:38

Hello All,

Turn out has been really strong. The first and second rounds had eleven boards each, with the expectation of possibly going to thirteen boards for the Saturday rounds. There was hope for fourteen, but some late cancellations has maybe kept the number of participants from topping 100.

Multiple WDC champions are onsite with many other national/continental champions. Each game has several very strong players. Naturally though with the numbers, there have been some cannon fodder.

Last I heard there were three solos. A solo with this scoring system is effectively like scoring well in two games and getting to add that additional game to your total. This virtually assures your participation on the top board. However, at this rate, there will be more than a board full of soloists. Seems, a bit higher than usual. Wonder if the players are being a wee-bit more aggressive with the unbalanced skill-level boards and the scoring system designed to foster center disparity. Haven't seen who was on those solo tables and hear how they occurred yet to hazard an opinion.

One of the things I don't miss about face-to-face is negotiating with a player who has halitosis, body odor, or both! Trying to negotiate with a player who wants to be in your personal space with this and keep from showing your discomfort is sometimes not easy; add in them being a former WDC champion skilled at reading people and you have your work cutout for you.

Franzjosefi, had a nice conversation with Edi Birsan. He said "Hi". :D ;)

CB
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Re: 2016 WDC Early News

Postby asudevil » 26 Jun 2016, 02:27

Are you playing...or just watching.

If playing...how'd you do?
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Carebear » 26 Jun 2016, 06:12

asudevil wrote:Are you playing...or just watching.

I have played in every round so far, 4/4.

asudevil wrote:If playing...how'd you do?

There is a fifth round tomorrow, with a final table. The best three of the previous four rounds get on the final table in the fifth round.

I am doing pretty well (very well considering the opposition), but no solo. So, no top board for me in round five.

All my boards have had multiple WDC Champions or multiple region champions (Euro or N.A.). So, I have been playing against the best of the Face to Face hobby in the preliminary rounds. It has been absolutely great! Saw some guys I haven't seen in years.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear

Postby asudevil » 26 Jun 2016, 14:58

Carebear wrote:
asudevil wrote:Are you playing...or just watching.

I have played in every round so far, 4/4.

asudevil wrote:If playing...how'd you do?

There is a fifth round tomorrow, with a final table. The best three of the previous four rounds get on the final table in the fifth round.

I am doing pretty well (very well considering the opposition), but no solo. So, no top board for me in round five.

All my boards have had multiple WDC Champions or multiple region champions (Euro or N.A.). So, I have been playing against the best of the Face to Face hobby in the preliminary rounds. It has been absolutely great! Saw some guys I haven't seen in years.

Congrats. Any eliminations in your first 4...or did you Carebear your way into draws :)

I always wanted to do it...but I can't justify taking that kind of time away from the family for a game (nor the money)
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Carebear » 30 Jun 2016, 06:13

asudevil wrote:Congrats. Any eliminations in your first 4...or did you Carebear your way into draws :)

Of course, I Carebeared. I had one elimination. There were two former WDC champions on the board. I had played with them both before, the super nicest of guys. If I had been near them, it would have been no problem. Instead I was on the opposite end of the board from them and the three clowns around me pretty much moved against me from the beginning. Did not have much diplomacy opportunity. But, I survived long enough to seem them perish in the end too. :D

asudevil wrote:I always wanted to do it...but I can't justify taking that kind of time away from the family for a game (nor the money)

Understand, whole family of teachers (multiple generations). I even took Ed courses in college, but the ease of work and money in IT was too tempting.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear

Return to Face-to-Face