2016 World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

2016 World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X

Postby JimTheGrey » 24 Jan 2016, 23:18

The 2016 World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X kicks off exactly five months from today, and we in Chicago can’t wait.

The tournament will be a five-round affair, with two rounds on Friday, June 24; two on Saturday, June 25; and a final round on Sunday, June 26. The final round will include a top board to determine the world (and North American) championship. There will be some sort of welcome party on Thursday night, June 23, but we haven’t worked out those details yet. Could be trivia, could be karaoke, could be a shindig at a local player's home.

We’ll be using a central clock and the Sum of Squares scoring system. The top board will be seeded based on best three scores from the first four rounds.

The tournament will take place in Roosevelt University’s vertical campus (425 S Wabash), right in the heart of downtown Chicago. For those of you who joined us in 2012, the vertical campus was under construction back then and is just one block from the Congress Plaza Hotel, home of the 2012 WDC.

We’ve reserved a block of single, apartment-style dorm rooms with shared bathrooms in the vertical campus. The rate is $87 and change per night. You can book directly with Roosevelt. There’s a link on our website. You’ll also find a link on our website with suggestions for alternative housing, including nearby hotels and a hostel that’s less than a block away.

All the info you need is on our website, http://windycityweasels.org/wdc2016. You can preregister at the site as well, and that will save you $10 on the entrance fee ($5 off the student rate). You’ll also find an event page in the Word Diplomacy Face-to-Face Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/events/804873186276440/.

I know I speak for all the Weasels when I say that we’re really looking forward to celebrating this great game and worldwide hobby of ours with all of you.

Email me with questions.

JimTheGrey, Organizer and TD
2016 World Diplomacy Championship
JimTheGrey

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: 2016 World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X

Postby Carebear » 25 Jan 2016, 07:32

All PlayDip players,

To be clear, participants will be traveling from around the world to play in this event. There will be a lot of great players at the event and I would expect in the neighborhood of 75-100 players. It would be great to ensure topping 100 by getting some of the online crowd to attend.

Reserve your room and arrange your travel now!
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby JimTheGrey » 26 Jan 2016, 03:58

Our first overseas player confirmed a week ago. New Zealand will be represented.

Last time we hosted (2012), we had players come in from France, the Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand, Australia and, of course, Canada. We expect to add the U.K. and maybe Italy to the roles this time around.

JtG
JimTheGrey

Postby Fraternitas » 28 Feb 2016, 15:07

You know I would be there if I could! Good luck on the tournament and congratulations to the Windy City Weasels for their work in the world of Diplomacy! When hologram technology improves/exists... count me in!
The Voice Professor
Fraternitas

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1172)
All-game rating: (1325)
Timezone: GMT+7

Postby President Muffley » 15 Mar 2016, 00:42

I have to admit . . . . I'm considering it . . .

Edit: . . . just booked my flight.
President Muffley

Standard rating: (977)
All-game rating: (977)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby JimTheGrey » 29 Mar 2016, 03:40

Glad you're coming.

Here is the list of attendees so far: http://windycityweasels.org/news/953-the-parade-of-tributes.

Jim
JimTheGrey

Postby JimTheGrey » 25 May 2016, 02:35

We're one month out from First Stab at the 2016 World Championship in Chicago. So far, we have 79 attendees, including players from Australia, New Zealand, the U.K., France and the Netherlands. That number will continue to grow.

The dates are June 24-26, with two rounds on Friday, two on Saturday, and one on Sunday, including the top board to decide the world championship. The event will be at Roosevelt University's vertical campus, 425 S Wabash Ave right in the heart of downtown Chicago.

You can find the answer to most of your questions at http://windycityweasels.org/wdc2016, but feel free to message me or post here if you have one.

JtG
JimTheGrey

Postby Carebear » 25 May 2016, 08:31

How about offering discounts of some sort to top online players to encourage them to attend?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby JimTheGrey » 27 May 2016, 02:11

If the fee is a deterrent for anyone, message me.

JtG
JimTheGrey

Postby President Muffley » 28 May 2016, 15:31

Getting more and more excited about this!
Also getting more and more nervous . . . . . haven't played face to face in over a year (last DixieCon) :roll: . Haven't even played online in at least that long!

Fortunately for me, "The Bar" of personal performance at face to face tournaments has been set pretty low. Yay for the game I suck at! :lol:
President Muffley

Standard rating: (977)
All-game rating: (977)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to Face-to-Face