Face to Face in NYC?

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Face to Face in NYC?

Postby JonS » 01 Sep 2014, 15:05

It seems these F2F requests often come to nothing, but come on! New York, New York! One of the great cities of the world! Millions upon millions of us, crammed into a few muggy, rat infested islands..there must be some other Dip players out there. If the Mets can still get 20,000 people to take the seven train to see them lose in Flushing, we can get seven people together for some diplomacy action.

I'd be happy to host at my (admittedly pretty tiny and terrorized by a crazy new puppy) apartment in Manhattan, or organize a meetup somewhere else around the city. I actually haven't played a face to face game since I was ten years old, when my brother and mother formed a ruthless alliance, crushed me completely, and taught me to never trust the ones I love.

I don't have a specific date or plan in mind yet...just opening this thread to gather interest and get a feeling of how many fellow New Yorkers would be interested in getting together, playing a game, and see if we're as good at lying to each other's faces as we are at lying on a website. :)

Just don't take the N, 5, or 7 trains, what with the bed bug infestation... http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... ubway.html

Ah, New York.

sisyphu216/Jon
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Face to Face in NYC?

Postby -Gambit- » 01 Sep 2014, 16:51

Earlier this year I played some F2F in the village at a coffee shop called "The Uncommons", its on thompson street, it use to be one of the two chess shops on the street, but now it is a general board game lounge / coffee shop. They charge $5 cover for the day if all you are going to do is lounge around and play one of the 100's of games they keep shelved, which I find pretty reasonable. The two games I went to, we ended up sitting around and playing for 6 hours, so the $5 was fair. Plus the good news is if your eliminated early from the game, there is other games to play while waiting on the dip game to finish. It was also fun trying to get other patrons to act as spies (or to plant false rumors), :D.

Anyways, the games were organized through a Risk / Diplomacy meetup group. Although its not a very active group (maybe 2-3 games a year, mostly during the winter). And I have to admit the level of play both times wasn't very strong, but that was expected. Lots of newbies played, which is good and bad at the same time. Had to spend an hour to discuss and explain the rules, then stabbing a newb is difficult, because you don't want them to lose interest in the game after being stabbed in there first game. But spreading interest in the game is always good too.

Here is a link to the group. http://www.meetup.com/diplomacy-6/

I'm sure with a combined effort on both this forum and through this group we can get some intermediate/advanced (with a couple new players sprinkled in) together for a regular game.

And unfortunately for me....I can't avoid the N or 7 line, :( , Astorian here. Watch out for the Mets in 2015!
-Gambit-

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1408)
All-game rating: (1407)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Aeschines » 01 Sep 2014, 19:09

There is a decent amount of interest in F2F diplomacy among the board game club at my university in NYC- so if you don't mind playing with a bunch of students hit me up by PM and I'll make sure you know when we're playing next time!
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Standard rating: (1487)
All-game rating: (1639)

Postby JonS » 01 Sep 2014, 19:18

This is super helpful! Thanks. I've heard about Uncommons before - meant to go there for International Tabletop Day, but our schedule didn't work out. I feel like it's the kind of NY institution I should support.

And the Mets comment comes from a place of love. :) Was there yesterday to watch us beat the Phillies. 2015 will be our year! Maybe! Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, maybe Syndergaard...our rotation will be fantastic. We just need some hitters...

Am looking at the meetup site now. Any other New Yorkers on the site interested in a meet up?

JonS

Postby -Gambit- » 01 Sep 2014, 22:25

A bat may come.....we have a nice surplus of pitching.
-Gambit-

Postby ExiledAtHome » 14 Sep 2014, 07:01

Sisyphus-

Some friends and I recently discussed meeting up to play in Central Park (though the days are numbered for that proposition as Autumn weather appears to have already settled in).

But, if you're trying to organize a FtF game amongst on-line gamers, it might be a better idea to use such a public space as your forum. Central Park is quite the nice environment for that, or, as already mentioned, something along the lines of The Uncommons.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Standard rating: (1385)
All-game rating: (1590)

Postby smit » 23 Nov 2014, 20:31

Dear all,

Is the F2F game still happening? I am a willing player on Mondays, Wednesdays, and possibly Saturdays if the games are still a feature.
smit

Standard rating: (995)
All-game rating: (991)

Postby QuesoSmith » 09 Dec 2014, 06:21

http://nerdnyc.com/wordpress/

^I found these guys in a Steam group(online PC gaming service). Maybe you could get them to play Diplomacy, they meet up pretty often it seems.

Wishing I was living in NYC to join you guys.
QuesoSmith

Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1001)

Postby -Gambit- » 14 Sep 2015, 16:26

-Gambit- wrote:Watch out for the Mets in 2015!

JonS wrote: And the Mets comment comes from a place of love. :) Was there yesterday to watch us beat the Phillies. 2015 will be our year! Maybe! Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, maybe Syndergaard...our rotation will be fantastic. We just need some hitters...

-Gambit- wrote:A bat may come.....we have a nice surplus of pitching.

Wow....looking back at this thread now. Talk about predicting the future!
-Gambit-

Postby JonS » 15 Sep 2015, 04:37

Hahaha Mets are ON FIRE - been an amazing run. Logging in after watching us win 8 straight.

If we sign Cespedes I might name my son after him.

What a great run.

Someone else asked me about this thread - I no longer live in NYC, so sadly not avail for NYC F2F.

(But I'm flying back to NY in October to visit family, so I'll be at Citi Field to see some post season action!!)

JonS

Next

Return to Face-to-Face