[MARCH] New York City Face-to-Face Games

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

[MARCH] New York City Face-to-Face Games

Postby Niakan » 05 Mar 2012, 11:17

Hello all,

It's that time again! Two games are coming up this month in New York City:

#1 -- Saturday, March 10th: Location -- Manhattan (My apartment); Starting time -- noon; Beer status -- overflowing and must be liquidated; "Culinary experiment" of the day: Chili/Chicken Quesadillas.

The game I'm hosting this Saturday on the 10th will be a more casual setup. Really, I'm just trying to get rid of some extra beer that didn't get used up when we had friends over the other night, and Diplomacy is as good an excuse as any to have people over to help out with the task. The "culinary experiment" of this game will either be an encore performance of the chili I made at our last one, or chicken quesadillas... or both! This will be a more casual game so if you've got a friend you've been wanting to convert, or if you'd like to try your first Face-to-Face game, this will be the one you want to show up for. There are worse things to do on a Saturday night...

#2 -- Weekend of Sat/Sun, March 24th/25th: Location -- Manhattan (My apartment); Starting time -- noon. "Culinary experiment" of the day: TBD.

This game will be more geared towards our hardcore Dippers in the group -- drop dead deadlines, etc. Not sure whether it will be held on Saturday or Sunday.. if you're interested in attending but absolutely cannot make one of these dates, let me know so I can best accommodate the group. Saturdays usually work best for the most amount of people so I'd expect for the date to finalize on the 24th, unless emails say something different. Would like to see what the group thinks about introducing some sort of points system for "ranked" games to introduce bragging rights into the scene for games like #2.

If you're interested in either of these games let me know by emailing me at [email protected] or by PMing me on this site. Also check out http://www.diplomacycast.com/ for February's Episode 14 where they recap the first tournament of the year, WACcon, with tournament winner Adam Sigal! And check out http://www.thenadf.org/ for upcoming events!

Looking forward to March's games.. My schedule didn't pan out for a second game in February so this will be the first attempt at having 2 in a month, which will be a good milestone for the NYC group. Hopefully it doesn't prove to be too ambitious. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Robert Premus
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 936
All-game rating: 1002
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: [MARCH] New York City Face-to-Face Games

Postby Niakan » 06 Mar 2012, 04:52

All I can say is wow. Game #2 filled up in less than 12 hours, and there are just two slots left for Game #1. If you're interested let me know before room runs out!
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 06 Mar 2012, 10:43

Niakan wrote:#2 -- Weekend of Sat/Sun, March 24th/25th: Location -- Manhattan (My apartment); Starting time -- noon. "Culinary experiment" of the day: TBD.

The thousand or so miles notwithstanding, I'm already completely booked up for that weekend. However...if you are feeling experimental....

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne

Throw all that together and shake it up real good. Then use it on pretty much anything. For reals.

I grilled up about 3 pounds of chicken earlier tonight that had been marinating in a mix of EVOO, lemon juice, and 8 tablespoons of that mix. Also great on any meat, eggs, mac&cheese, bagels, or just by the handful.

I take no credit for this recipe, it's by a guy named Mike Mills...a walking, talking BBQ god. I used to steal shakers full of it off the tables at his very first restaurant, and even though he tweaked the recipe a bit for his book so as not to completely give away all his secrets, it's still damned tasty.

He's part-owner or partner or something of Blue Smoke in NY, but having never been there, I have no idea how much of his hand is actually involved in the cooking process. If you do check it out, let me know how it is, but I'd be surprised if the BBQ is anything less than outstanding.
Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time...
Rolan A Doobie

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Niakan » 09 Mar 2012, 04:26

This is actually surprisingly close to my recipe except perhaps the ratios, and also I use chipotle in mine. It doesn't quite work for everything because of the chipotle, but, it's chipotle and chipotle is awesome. Chipotle chipotle chipotle. I might check out that restaurant some time -- I'll tell Mike that his biggest fan says hi :P
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Niakan » 09 Mar 2012, 21:42

Both games are filled and confirmations have been sent out for Saturday. Next post here will likely be the AARs. I like how we always get at least 2 new guys every game. An eerily perfect rate of growth for the NYC hobby, who has had 18 unique players across 5 past or upcoming games. But that's out of about 40 people who have expressed interest in coming down some time. So don't be shy if you haven't been down to a game yet! We're always looking for fresh blood. Our game archive is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... FRTd21DM3c
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Niakan » 14 Mar 2012, 20:20

Schedule's been tight this week. I probably won't have the time to write up this AAR tonight, but it should be up before we have our next game.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Return to Face-to-Face