(AAR POSTED!) Diplomacy in New York City, December 17th

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Re: (7/7 PLAYERS +2R) Diplomacy in New York City, December 1

Postby Niakan » 12 Dec 2011, 11:51

It looks like we might have a full table, folks. :) Thank you everyone for expressing your interest. I got a flurry of responses last night that actually overbooked the table if you included me and my friends, which is exactly what I wanted because a) now my friends (and perhaps I) don't have to play, and b) we have reserves for the table if a couple of people have a last-minute emergency.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: (TABLE FULL!) Diplomacy in New York City, December 17th

Postby Niakan » 12 Dec 2011, 18:28

--However-- if you're interested in being a reserve, there might still be a chance that you can play. Last-minute dropouts might happen, so it's best to be safe. Let me know if you're interested.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Niakan » 15 Dec 2011, 23:38

Confirmations have been sent out -- please check your email. Very much looking forward to Saturday! I think I'll actually put up an AAR this time ;)
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Niakan » 18 Dec 2011, 15:03

Thanks for a great game guys -- I'll put up an AAR once I get a little time tonight.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby presser84 » 18 Dec 2011, 18:55

Niakan wrote:Thanks for a great game guys -- I'll put up an AAR once I get a little time tonight.

Was going to ask how it went?
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby Niakan » 19 Dec 2011, 03:41

Well first let me say a big thank you to everyone that made it. It ended up being an interesting mix of people: we had three players from playdiplomacy.com (TonyNyr94, mentalheds, and Niakan), two players from webdiplomacy.net (Zarathustra and Onar), two friends of Zarathustra's, and a local player named Greg Shtraks. One person was running late so, for the sake of not letting things drag, we decided to get the game started with the seven we had, and when our latecomer arrived I would give my spot to him. I drew Germany, which I was glad to get -- I love the central powers. Spring 1901 started off pretty normally:

--From what I recall, here is how my negotiations went with my neighbors:

AUSTRIA: The first person to talk to me was Austria. He called my name as soon as the negotiations phase began, which meant that France and Germany got to speak to each other first. I kept this in mind while we chatted. Austria and I were on the same page: Natural allies, let's help each other out with info, lobbying, etc. etc. I think I told him that I would twist Russia's arm over Sweden to make sure that Russia didn't enter Galicia. Come to think of it, in the swarm of all the negotiations I don't think I ever remembered to bring it up with Russia -- this was a genuine "my bad" moment, especially because IIRC Russia entered Gal in Sp01.

RUSSIA: Next was Russia. He immediately asked about Sweden. I told him that he'd need to offer me something good if he was to earn it. I don't really remember any more specifics about our '01 discussions.

TURKEY: Next was Turkey. Not a lot to talk about. "Yo. Good luck! <gossipgossip>"

ITALY: IIRC, I asked Italy not to screw with Austria and he seemed to have already worked things out with Austria. His mind was on Tunis and Greece, which I thought was a good thing. I talked to Austria later and he confirmed that Italy was asking about Greece, so I figured that was good enough -- an Austria that isn't getting backdoored by Italy means a happy Germany.

ENGLAND: Finally, I got to talk to one of my major neighbors. I told him flat out that I wanted an E/G. He seemed vaguely receptive but distracted; I would soon learn that it was because he wanted to ask me for Holland on Spring01. I think the gears in my head screeched to a halt for a split second before I said "Uh, no. That won't be happening." At first I thought that the French player was testing me to see if I had learned how to play yesterday -- I would later learn that he hadn't played for some time and was becoming reacquainted with the map as he went along, which would explain this request. I said I would be happy to get his army into Belgium so that we could work against the French. This worked for him.

FRANCE: Talked to France last, which was partially why our talk was so short. The other reason was that we were pretty much on the same page with not getting in each other's hair early. France was non-committal, telling me that he was going to see what happened after 1901 and focus on his Iberian centers. This worked for me -- meant that I had something to say about Belgium. At least this is what I remember, metalheds played France so maybe he could help me fill in the blanks here if I messed this up.

Once Fall 1902 hit our latecomer had arrived, so I went back to being a host and drinking lots of beer. I have to say I stopped following the game at this point.. all I remember is that Germany got 3 builds in 1901 and that Austria supported an Italian army into Greece. A/I seemed pretty tight so I didn't think this was a shady thing that Italy was trying to pull off.. more like a modified Lepanto.

And so I kept drinking and eavesdropping on conversations for my own amusement... at least until about 1905 when England got down to two centers and decided to throw in the towel. He had managed to get himself into a real pickle...

^-- That's what Fall 1902 adjustments looked like. France built a fleet in Mar in 1901, so he had two fleets looking at Italy. However, he did some set of moves like Mar-WMe and Spa(sc)-MAO, followed by WMe-MAO and MAO-NAO! slingshotting himself into England's backdoor. Things just went downhill from there as Russia was let into Sweden by the new Germany and England had little hope in Scandinavia, no foothold on the Continent, and France already biting at his heels.

Fast-forward to when I took over England. I was given a two-center England with three units in the adjustments phase. I controlled London and Norway, with A Lon, F Nth, and F Nwy in place. France was all up in my grill, with no incentive to stop, but there was still a lot of potential for my situation. I declared "Never Give Up!" as I destroyed Army London. Some of the players balked at this: England giving up his last home center?

I knew what I was doing. At least I thought I did. England's only hope in that situation was to make himself useful to either Germany, Russia, or both, so that he could put his back against something and at least survive until the board changed. It wasn't to fight a solo battle against a France that outnumbered his home units 3 to 1, and as counter-intuitive as it may have seemed, abandoning its capital would prove to have saved England's life.

I declared openly to the group "England is now a Janissary: My services will go to whoever gives me the best offer!" And I walked away from the group into the kitchen. I didn't look back. Someone was bound to follow me to give me an offer. Someone had to. "Please.. someone?" I whimpered to myself as I walked over to fix myself a glass of scotch. I very much felt like Orpheus in that moment, for I couldn't look back -- betraying any doubt that I had, showing any weakness, displaying any acceptance of defeat, would have surely meant my demise.

I heard footsteps behind me. Russia came to chat.

This began a very interesting and fruitful relationship between the Russian and I. He was eager to work with me, and indeed was very generous when it came to promising me future SC's. Of course I didn't expect myself to gain any ground for the rest of the game, and I made this clear, but I told him that I was happy to cause as much mischief as possible. My two fleets became an extension of his northern navies and we pushed together. The first step was him helping me into Denmark to cut off the German from Scandinavia. It worked wonderfully as France took back London, as well as Belgium from Germany. But, Germany did slip into Ska, which complicated things. Here's what it looked like in 1906 adjustments:

Yelling pirate references, I continued my bravado throughout 1907, announcing France's impending demise. A juggernaut was beginning to form, and Germany, who had stabbed, attacked, or otherwise directly antagonized every single one of his neighbors by now (including Austria!) found himself getting squeezed by everyone around him while Russia grew ever stronger on the north-west side of the stalemate line. By the end of 1907, France wanted to talk to me -- and I knew why. With my help, Russia was way too forward in the west for his comfort, and he soon wouldn't be able to take on the slug-fest that he had coming. I told him that until he respected English sovereignty there would be no peace. And so our discussion would end.. for the time being.

1908. As England, I was happy to advertise that as a two-center power with no home centers, I had nothing to lose and was happy to help Russia solo. I said this every phase. Whenever someone tried to talk to me, and I thought that it would be useful to embarrass them to further demonstrate how I had nothing to lose by being painfully transparent, I would publicly tell those around me what we had just discussed -- in front of the other person. I told Germany that I was going to take Kiel from him -- with a single unit in Denmark. He saw that as misinformation and promptly ordered Kiel to go support Holland, while Russia supported me into Kiel and Berlin tried other things than to support Kiel to hold. Sometimes the truth is your best weapon.

Russia was a good patron. He helped me help myself get into Edinburgh. I reminded France that there would be no peace until he respected English sovereignty.

So then he decided he would, and gave me London. But I wasn't yet satisfied: Liverpool would be mine as well, or the game would go to Russia. And I was in an ever-increasing position of power to ensure that it happened. He acquiesced, so long as he had my support to hold back Russia's fleets. I now found myself back in the game, with two home centers recovered, and a miraculously vacant Belgium which gave me the potential for a build next season. I chose my tactics carefully and turned on Russia to keep him at bay in the Norwegian Sea while France supported F Lon - Nth, and Edi swung around to take Liverpool.

Rule Britannia! It was 1909, and the last year that we would play for the night grew long. Turkey had turned on his Jugger-ally and commanded impressive control of his corner of the board -- except he made a slight miscalculation and left room for a Russian retreat into his territory! The venomous Russian build that would follow of F Sev would spell the end of the R/T, and the board was suddenly full of much potential. France obliged in pulling his fleets away from English waters and centers, not only to support Italy in the Med against the nearly-overwhelming Turkish naval threat but to help his armies hold their ground against Russia in Germany's former lands, and England found himself with three fleets and a United Kingdom once again.

And since it was 1909 England gave France one last reversed V by throwing a fleet into Belgium and getting that fourth SC, which would have turned into a juicy build had the game continued (then again I wouldn't have made that awful stab if I knew the game was continuing -- not yet anyway).

And this was the final board. Everyone was great and a pleasure to play with. I was impressed with Turkey's patient style; he began the game in a very worrying position, with a strong A/I in 1901, but he didn't panic, held his ground until the situation on the board changed, and made his steady gains appear as innocuous as possible. Unfortunately Italy was eliminated right in the end of 1909, and Austria accidentally killed himself by vacating a (his only) SC that he temporarily held against its previous owner a year or two before. Germany, for a nation that managed to make an enemy of everyone, miraculously managed to survive with a fleet in Kiel acting as a lynchpin in the great extended Maginot Line being held against the Russian horde. England was certainly in no position to solo, but had secured a respectable position (4th) in the draw with potential for modest growth had the game continued. There was a lot of fascinating play and discussion, everyone was good about getting orders in, and for all the stabbing that was going on the board remained pretty light-hearted and positive, at least as far as Dip boards go ;)

That's my AAR. Anyone else at the game is welcome to post their thoughts. Greg said that he's going to host a game in Montclair, NJ on Jan 7th.. I might be able to make it but its proximity to the New Year might be hard for me. I'll also be hosting a F2F game around this time in January. If you've given me your email address at some point in time you'll be contacted with details when the time comes -- if you'd like to go to Greg's game and you don't know how to get in contact with him his email address is [email protected].

That's all I've got. Great game!

[Two chairs were destroyed in the course of this game. RIP.]
Last edited by Niakan on 19 Dec 2011, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Niakan » 19 Dec 2011, 04:58

Bump; my AAR is up. :D
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Mortiferus Rosa » 19 Dec 2011, 16:30

Ha, you did the same thing I did... best pieces on the best board. Only thing you need to do is laminate the handheld maps. 8-)
R/,

Mortiferus Rosa
Gold Classicist
Mortiferus Rosa

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1115)
All-game rating: (1118)

Postby mentalheds » 19 Dec 2011, 18:35

So first of all, a million thanks to Niakan for hosting this excellent F2F game.

I was France, and I faced the negotiating challenge of Germany getting a new player in the middle of 1901, followed by the former German player taking over England around, I think it was the end of 1902?

I wanted peace with all my neighbors, so I could grab Iberia and see what happened. I agreed to DMZ's in both the English Channel and Burgundy. England went hard North for Scandinavia and Russia, so Germany got 3 builds (Bel/Hol/Den) in 1901, and built 3 armies. I had had the presence of mind to ask England early on if it was cool for me to build fleet Brest, knowing that fleet Marseilles would send Italy my way. I built fleet Brest and army Paris.
Naturally, Germany's 3 new armies got me a little worried. I didn't have the land power to hold him off if he decided to come for me, so I had to promise to attack England. He wanted me to move right to the Channel, which I thought was too obvious, and so I opted for the slingshot convoy into Liverpool.

This is one of my favorite things about playing France, the straddling of the seas makes it so flexible. Spring 1902 Spa.sc-W.Med, Bre-M.Atl, Fall 1902 M.Atl-N.Atl, W.Med-M.Atl and England was dead in the water. Or so it seemed at the time...

A/I were tightly allied, and going after Turkey, which suited me fine. Germany had the problem that typically faces a 6-center Germany in 1902 - where's his next build coming from? He opted to go every which way, temporarily nabbing Warsaw but also an ill-advised incursion into Tyrolia. This may have been what broke up the A/I alliance, and was definitely what led to Germany's swift decline from board leader to afterthought.

Italy and I stayed out of each other's hair for most of the game, until he nabbed Spain around 04 or 05... (I had miscalculated my moves and left M.Atl open). This cost me valuable time as I had to use half of my 8 units recovering Spain and forcing him back. This helped England stay alive and also gave Turkey the break he needed.

Turkey I think played the best game of all of us. He had the poker face for negotiations, and in his own words, "just kept turtling along," swallowing the southern half of the board.

Russia played well, too. He skilfully played Austria and Germany off each other, when first one held Moscow, and then the other held Warsaw. He also took advantage of the power vacuum in the Northern waters caused by my stab of England and Germany's dearth of fleets.

Janizaries abounded. In addition to Niakan's Viking Navy. At one point, Turkey convoyed Austria's last army from Trieste to Naples.

By the time I came to England hat-in-hand, the R/T alliance held almost 20 centers, I think.

The Turkish stab of Russia near the end was ALMOST perfect - but that ALMOST cost him dearly. This was at the same time as England had come back into the Western fold, and helped Germany destroy a Russian unit in a move that didn't cost Russia a center. That, combined with the miscalculation that let Russia retreat into Serbia, gave Russia a build, and god love him, he built fleet Sev! The West rejoiced.

Russia wanted me to help him eliminate Germany in 1909, and I agreed to take Kiel. I didn't mention I would also hand Berlin back to Germany! He seemed like a fun-loving guy, and had held to our alliance faithfully, so I didn't want to take him out like that.

It would've been interesting to see how it would've played out. 1909 adjustments, only Austria eliminated, Germany and Italy with a center each, and a rejuvenated (albeit imbalanced) E/F against an R/T reeling from a botched stab.

In general, this was a great game. I'd forgotten how the time-pressure of 15-minute deadlines adds to the frenzy of communications... well played everyone and let's do it again soon!
"For how can tyrants safely govern home / Unless abroad they purchase great alliance?"
mentalheds

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1128)

Re: (AAR POSTED!) Diplomacy in New York City, December 17th

Postby ZarathustraVonWebdip » 20 Dec 2011, 17:23

First, let me thank Niakan for putting the game together. I was excited to see the PM on WebDip about a face-to-face and am now very glad that I chose to divulge some personal information to the sorted lot found on the internet. Now to the End of Game Report!

Ah, the EoG. A fine tradition of Diplomacy! Really, how many other games do people spend substantial time after the game is over writing reports about their experience and strategy?

Let me begin at the beginning. I came to the game wearing a fedora, which was used at the beginning of the game as a means of randomizing country selection. Also, I should note that I am playing several games on WebDiplomacy, the three of the most recent have been as Italy. So, as I moved my hat around the board for each person to select their position, I was a bit distraught when I saw that the last two were Turkey and Italy. Fortunately, Italy was pulled by the last person and I gave a sigh of relief when I was left with Turkey.

1901: The first person I spoke to was a Russia, played by a friend I had brought with me to join the game. I knew his playing style and Russia and Turkey make good allies so I knew off the bat that at least for the first year I could trust him not to screw me over. We decided on the standard bounce in Black Sea and that I would allow him to take Rumania that year and Black Sea a little later.

My next two discussions were with Italy and Austria. As Italy or Turkey, I am always very suspicious of the other: Italy is best when it starts with Lepanto and Turkey is best when it can get Italy to stand aside or, better yet, ally to take out Austria. Unfortunately, but, as suspected, I was given was clearly lip service by Austria and Italy about their intentions to work with me. However, of the two, I could tell Austria had a great deal more experience in face to face games and was doing an excellent job of trying to dissuade my distrust. Good enough, in fact, that I was willing to trust him when he said he would move to Greece when I offered him my support. I had hoped I would be able to orchestrate a bounce with this negotiation, as I told Italy the same thing and ultimately supported Russia. However, Austria supported Italy into Greece and I knew then that I would be in defensive mode for a few turns as the board shook loose a bit.

I spoke to the other players in hopes of getting some information I could use to encourage someone to hit A-I's rear flank, but little came out of it, which leads us to:

1902: I have gotten my build from Bulgaria and knew that a fleet was going to be needed, and with great haste, if I wanted to stay in this game for very long. I was also a bit shaken by the state of the board. France and England had gone their separate ways, allowing Germany to double in size. Combined with England's very strong and very anti-Russia position, I was thinking it was going to be an awfully short game if I maintained my alliance with Russia. I strongly considered an early stab against Russia to try to get a piece of what I expected would be a crumbling mess momentarily but I thought better of it because Russia was likely to be my only real ally at this moment and Russia can still do well even after losing a home center or two. However, I am jittery enough about it that I bounce Russia out of Black Sea once more before agreeing that we really needed to work together to survive.

The real boon for me was Italy's build. Instead of a fleet in Naples, he built an army in Rome citing his admittedly valid concern about France's fleet in SpainSC (this didn't make much sense to me because he still should have built a fleet in Naples given his concern). At that point I knew I had a very good shot at keeping A-I at bay. However, I didn't want to make any particularly risky moves or deals at this time because France has a way of being tricky in the early years. I made the right call because France slingshot back North taking England by storm. That was definitely a defining move in the game, breaking England apart in no-time flat.

For me, I kept trying to talk to Austria and Italy, but I could tell they were giving me the same lip service they had at the beginning and were going to be tight. I would just have to sit and wait, so I moved my fleet to Aegean and prepared to attack Greece. I also consistently told them that I considered us in a state of truce and tried to reflect that in my moves, slowly repositioning myself so that I could take strength from the corner and prevent Italy from sneaking in with a fleet.

1903 & 4: Mostly I was simply holding against Italy and Austria. That is until I stuck it big on luck with France keeping a second fleet within threat range of Italian interests and Germany moving into Tyrolia. I had multiple shots at taking SCs during this time, but decided it was best to wait on both of them until Italy and Austria were drawn into the developments in Western Europe. I think it was the end of 1903 that I saw an opening to take Greece without risk and then 1904 that Austria was so preoccupied with the German incursion that I was able to take Serbia with the support of Russia. I should note that during this time I saw Russia really rebound from the weak position he had found himself in not a year before as England had withdrawn to deal with France and the German incursion was dealt by help from Austria (there were a few bits of masterful diplomacy in those negotiations, I am sure of it). Due to a loss of a center, Russia lost his Black Sea fleet. Seeing that Russia was coming back, I offered my assistance in the Black Sea: I would stand in to help him hold Rumania as his fleet had done before. However, it is this rebound that started to concern me in the following years.

1905: Russia has come back with a vengeance. It doesn't really show in his numbers yet, but his position is very strong and the new England (the former prime minister fled the country after the French invasion and take over of the mainland) was positioned such that an alliance with Russia was his best way to survive. Having played with the Russian player before, I knew he would see things the same way and likely try to turn England into the advance forces of the Russian Empire, and that is precisely what happened. On the southern front, I had convinced Italy to change directions after I took Greece, promising that I would direct all my attention toward Austria. His apprehension building and trust diminishing since the France's big move early in the game, Italy was glad to hear I would not attack his home land. With this, I was able to make what was my most important move: I gained Ionian. Once I was there, I knew I had a spot in the end game and became a bit more bold.

I made a deal with Italy, that to make up for taking Greece, I would help him into Trieste. I had already worked with Russia to facilitate his taking of Budapest, so Austria would soon be down to a single center.

I also spoke with France, who was now in full "retake the iberian" mode, SCs which had recently been seized by Italy. I spoke with him about squeezing Italy (I was already in Ionian and Adriatic). He was interested, but anxious. He needed me to attack Italy as soon as possible, but I needed him to be patient just a while longer.

Spring 1906: Italy, happy that I have followed through on my deal continues to tolerate me at his door step. What he doesn't see is the plan I hatched the moment Italy took Trieste. I built a fleet and at the start of negotiations urgently sought to speak with the now somewhat downtrodden Austria. He had been very cool about his demise, and I praised him on a job well done. Afterall, if Italy had been a bit more aggressive in attacking me over the past few turns, they would be using Krones in Smyrna. When I tapped him to chat, he gave me a dumbfounded look and said, "Seriously?" I nodded with all seriousness and then I made my proposal: I would support him back into Trieste. He laughed and told me he loved the idea. It was the laugh that told me I had everything figured out correctly. Nearly every player loves to play the wild renegade unit and I knew I could get other nations on board to help me along with the task. I then told him of the second phase of the plan which was to move him to Tunis. He liked this just as much. I was golden.

Next I spoke with Russia. I told him to leave Vienna open for the spring because it would help me with keeping Austria's trust and reduce the feeling he was being used. He fretted about it, but saw that he could make due without moving in at the moment.

I spoke with France at this point to tell him about the Austria plan. He liked it. He also liked the continuation of the plan, which involved an attack on Tunis via my convoy. Like I said, everyone loves a rogue unit :)

Fall 1906: Austria has successfully been moved into Trieste and Vienna has been left open. Italy has moved himself into Tunis, but left Naples open. I speak with Austria about the next step. I tell him I cant get enough support on Tunis, but there is a slight chance I can get him into Naples. He is plenty happy with the plan despite my belief he would not be too happy about it.

I speak with France about his Iberian moves. He has a great position now and will have control of the Iberian again at the end of the turn. I tell him about the failure of the Tunis plan and give hm the details on the Naples plan. He approves. One more person to speak with...

Italy and I chat. I am ready to tell him I am sorry about the whole supporting Austria thing, but how I don't want to knock out a player. He actually speaks first and tells me about how he is angry with france. As I "help" him review his plans, it becomes apparent he doesn't plan on defending Naples. Again I am golden.

While negotiation time runs down, I hear England and Austria giggling to each other and I know I am set on my plans. The information spread, but only in the way that wouldn't hinder their success. Also, Russia pulls me aside to tell me he has to take Vienna. I tell him that is fine and that I plan on following Austria by moving into Trieste.

Spring 1907: SUCCESS! Austria, despite all odds, is still alive and is in Naples. Italy, however, is not too happy by the look of him. I decide that it would be a waste of diplomacy time to speak with him for a couple turns. Russia is now HUGE. 10 SCs to my 7. I figure I am going to need to talk to him and promptly, so I call him out for a chat as soon as builds are finished. We needed to balance SCs and figure out how we were going to split things up in the Balkans because the fight was essentially over and other lands needed conquering. To my surprise, Russia anticipates my concern and proposes an exchange where I will control the Balkans, save for Rumania and Budapest. This seems like a peculiar position to me, and I comment upon it. Russia assures me it is for the best and I take him at his word, but see that it will take me 4 units to protect the Balkans from him and let him keep just 2 on guard duty there.

Next I speak with Austria. He calls me to him with, "Where we going this time?" I tell him that the plan is now to hit Italy again, but this time in Venice. He will have the support of my army in Trieste, guaranteeing him the SC. He loves it and I write down the move.

France and I speak and he is happy that Italy has largely collapsed. I tell him the plan with Venice and he approves. It seems to me at this point that I have nearly full board support for my convoying of Austria. With the goodwill and the defeat of my two neighbors, I figure I can start considering stabbing Russia.

While Russia is talking to Italy in another room, I speak to the rest of the players, Germany France England and Austria. I tell them I want to try to convoy Austria to Norway but that we will need to start moving into position now. Most of the convoy chain was ready, but Russia was sitting in Norway with a fleet, so we would need support.

Fall 1907: The whole board is cheerful (save Italy) at the sight of Austria making yet another devastating convoy strike against Italy. France and I have Italy completely surrounded everywhere else. Russia has almost completely destroyed Germany and England is making a come back. The whole board is unrecognizable from just a few turns ago.

Russia and I speak again and he tells me he heard about the Norway convoy and that he actually is in favor of it! The lose of his own center! Why? Because everyone loves a super convoy. We also confirm our plan to exchange SCs. Overall, things are looking up for me.

Austria and I chat about the next move and I explain I can't reasonably move him anywhere and that he is on his own this turn. I tell him that it is still the plan to get him into Norway.

1908: Uh oh. Austria and I miscommunicated. Austria leaves Venice and I have moved into Naples meaning I have taken Austria's last center. I truly feel bad about this and tell him it was in no way my intention, which he is gracious enough to accept. Italy is down to almost nothing. He has lost Tunis to France and Naples to me. However, he still has Rome and Russia has supported Italy into Munich following his defeat in Venice.

Russia goes to speak with one of the other countries and I call on the rest of the players. I tell them that I have noticed that they are starting to form up to defend against Russia and I and that I am willing to stab. They are pleased to hear this, to say the least. I have a fleet in Cons from my last build and I consider moving it into black sea, but ultimately decide not to in order to keep the element of surprise. However, I am able to finish arranging my Balkan armies for what will be a perfect stab in the fall.

In the Fall, Russia notes his suspicion about me calling the other players to speak a little bit too urgently. I know he is on to me but I dismiss it as just trying to work out another big convoy. Also, he tells me he is going to have to leave the game very soon so we will likely wrap up in the next year.

At this point there is nothing he can do about the stab. The Western powers have joined and will be taking a center from Russia in the north. I will stab and take two of his centers in the south. The plan is perfect...

1909: ... except for the fact that I attack Rumania from the wrong place and end up giving Russia a retreat to Serbia. Russia is pissed and builds a fleet in Sev. We talk immediately after builds and he asks me why I did it and I tell him it was because I thought the Western powers had a good shot at keeping him back and he had told me he planned on leaving. He only half bought the explanation, but we reasonable enough to discuss concluding moves. I had Serbia completely surrounded except for Albania. He said I could take Serb without a fight and we would plan a bounce in Black Sea. I said this was fine and moved on to figuring out my moves.

With the announcement that this would be the last year of play, I didn't make much effort to build the diplomatic capital I gained from stabbing Russia. I came up with some orders to ensure that I held to my agreement with Russia and made sure that he was safely removed from Serbia while securing my Italian holdings.

Spring moves resolved without any surprises: Serbia was moved to Albania, Russia and I bounced in Black Sea, secured Venice, and I kept all my holdings. Russia spoke to me soon after Fall began and suggested convoying him to Naples from Albania. Being an Equal Opportunity Convoy Service, I agreed to it and would move my fleet from Naples to Rome with support from Venice just in case something happened.

The turn resolved and everything went perfectly. I gained Venice, Serbia, and Rome putting me in the lead with 12 SCs. Sure, I could have had 13, but it was the last turn and better to end on a good note diplomatically then on a stab.

I really enjoyed the game and I greatly appreciate Naikan's hospitality (though it was a bit strange that he demanded we only call him by his screen name.....j/k). I look forward to the next game!
ZarathustraVonWebdip

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to Face-to-Face