GMing a F2F

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

GMing a F2F

Postby Zoterik » 08 Sep 2011, 01:50

In ten days, I have the pleasure of hosting six friends for a face-to-face match. This will be the third time I get to do so, but this time there is the possibility that I might actually have more than seven. I generally invite more people than are needed, because it's bound to happen that someone can't make it or won't show, so we've been lucky to reach seven the two times before. Now that I can host it in my apartment, rather than a dorm on campus, there is the added benefit of using alcohol as an incentive, meaning eight or nine players is a fair possibility.

So from those who have done it, is there any advice on how to be a GM? I've never done it before, though I've fiddled around with jDip quite a lot, and I am tempted to GM a game here on the forums (anyone needs someone, let me know). I imagine there will be the usual need for impartiality, making sure no one gets drunk out of their mind (save for the poor Austrian if elimination comes early), and flipping through the rulebook.
His Royal Majesty the King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and its dominions (History of the World)
ग्रेटर भारत के मौर्य साम्राज्य के सम्राट (Ancient History of the World)
Zoterik

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: GMing a F2F

Postby Niakan » 08 Sep 2011, 02:46

I find that keeping tough deadlines helps. Putting a timer out where everyone can see it is useful too, and calling out "3 minutes left!" or something like that is also good. In F2F games that involve alcohol it's usually a lot like herding cats unless you put some ground rules down with deadlines and enforce them -- otherwise you'll never finish the game! But good call on the alcohol as an incentive. It's how I organized my last one.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby marsman57 » 08 Sep 2011, 04:10

I don't know, but the last time I played a F2F game, I really wish I had an adjudication program. That part took forever by mid-game (we never finished).
marsman57

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Niakan » 08 Sep 2011, 09:44

marsman57 wrote:I don't know, but the last time I played a F2F game, I really wish I had an adjudication program. That part took forever by mid-game (we never finished).

One possible solution to this would be to use a computer or as many internet devices (smart phones, laptops, etc.) as are available to log on to playdip.com with seven different accounts and have everybody put in their orders into that game with speed deadlines enabled. Of course, you should notify the admins of this site ahead of time and make sure that this game has "Friends" enabled on it (and you should probably password protect it too just to be safe) so that your game doesn't get flagged by the anti-cheating system they have here or whatever since you'll have what is normally considered suspicious logging activity.

Adjudication on the site takes about 5 minutes or less, and is probably the best option if you want something automated for down the road.

Or there's that jdip program, but I've never used it myself so I don't know what the specifics about it are. If you google jdip I'm sure you'll find it.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Niakan » 08 Sep 2011, 09:44

But of course the cool thing about adjudicating through this site would be that people on here can see how your F2F game went, and it could probably generate more interest among people to organize F2Fes here. :)
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Return to Face-to-Face