English Midlands - Manorcon?

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

English Midlands - Manorcon?

Postby Danivon » 20 May 2010, 23:39

Does anyone here go to Manorcon? I was thinking of going along, having not done it before, as it's only 30 miles up the road from me.
Losing boards one dot at a time...

30th at WDC 2017
Danivon

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1027)
All-game rating: (1031)
Timezone: GMT

Re: English Midlands - Manorcon?

Postby Stander » 20 May 2010, 23:54

I haven't been for a few years but it was always enjoyable when I did go.
But being part of the winning Team in the Team diploamcy tournament for the last two years that I went probably helped!
I will be running the London Marathon on 22nd April 2012 to raise funds to help disabled children and in memory of my darling wife who sadly passed away in January 2012.

To find out more or to donate please visit:- http://www.justgiving.com/BigRunningFool
Stander
Elite Sponsor
Elite Sponsor

Location: Mainly running the streets of Essex, getting wet, cold and bloody miserable.
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Peanut » 21 May 2010, 09:56

Hey Danivon,
I hadn't clocked your location before, I was born in Harborough Magna, lived in Rugby for a few years (Bilton & Newbold) and then grew up in Lutterworth. I haven't been out in Rugby for a while but I had friends who lived in Claremont Rd and Abbey St, we used to frequent the Black Swan quite a bit (even before it was modernised).

As for ManorCon, yes went once (1997, I think), I really enjoyed it, but was amazed at how exhausting 5-6 hours of F-t-F Tournament dip could be! As with Stander I think it's more fun if you can go as part of a team, I was in the G.A.M.E zine team (We only played-by-mail back then)

Have fun
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Postby cheltman » 23 May 2010, 18:28

cheltman

Standard rating: 997
All-game rating: 1000

Postby Danivon » 23 May 2010, 22:50

Peanut wrote:Hey Danivon,
I hadn't clocked your location before, I was born in Harborough Magna, lived in Rugby for a few years (Bilton & Newbold) and then grew up in Lutterworth. I haven't been out in Rugby for a while but I had friends who lived in Claremont Rd and Abbey St, we used to frequent the Black Swan quite a bit (even before it was modernised).
When I read that, I'd just got back from the Black Swan yesterday afternoon.

As for ManorCon, yes went once (1997, I think), I really enjoyed it, but was amazed at how exhausting 5-6 hours of F-t-F Tournament dip could be! As with Stander I think it's more fun if you can go as part of a team, I was in the G.A.M.E zine team (We only played-by-mail back then)

Have fun
Cheers. I'm not really involved in the FtF scene at all, and spent most of my dip-playing recently on US-based sites. So I probably won't be in a team on that basis.

Oh, cheltman, that link is broken. I think you meant: http://www.manorcon.org.uk/

30th at WDC 2017
Danivon

Postby Danivon » 19 Jul 2010, 23:44

Well, I enjoyed my second ftf game in 16 years. Not that I did all that well - drew Austria and was down to 2 dots in 1902, but managed to survive all the way to the end in 1911 thanks to a solid ally.

I only went up to Manorcon for the Saturday, so I could see what it was like and still get home for dinner. Next year I think I may go for the weekend and try a few other games as well.

Still, if anyone wants to organise a ftf game in the Midlands, let me know.

30th at WDC 2017
Danivon

Postby Sitting Duck » 12 Sep 2010, 17:34

Hello all,

I was just wandering throught the forum and saw face to face games and thought, "That's interesting."
Then I saw English Midlands and though, "Well I never."
Then I saw Rugby and though, "WHAT????"

Ermm, Percival Road anybody? Seriously I would love to meet up and play face to face. I stress that I am a novice despite my advancing years. I've known about the game since the late Bronze Age but never got around to trying it. I bought a set recently in the hope that I could tempt my teenage boys off of computer games and got hooked myself.

Best Wishes,

Keith
As I learn more about people I realise how little I understand them.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europæ vincendarum!
Sitting Duck

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby roughhawkbit » 22 Dec 2010, 16:02

Hi all,

I'm based in Birmingham and would be up for a FtF game some time. I don't have a car though, so somewhere with public transport's best :D

Cheers,
Rob
"No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution."
Niccolo Machiavelli
roughhawkbit

Standard rating: (1137)
All-game rating: (1382)

Return to Face-to-Face