Help with Turkish Strategy!

Young people want their own special group too!

Moderators: mat.gopack, nanooktheeskimo

Forum rules
The Students group is an official Forum group. If you want to join, go to your User Control Panel and click on Usergroups. Scroll down to groups under 'Non-memberships' and apply there. The Group Leader will deal with the application when possible.

Help with Turkish Strategy!

Postby mach2 » 11 Jul 2012, 14:28

Advance note: I know how annoying it is when beginners rush in and ask for the answers without thinking. With that in mind, I'm not asking to be told what is best, just some handy hints and nudges in the right direction to help learn.

Hi everyone,

I am very new to diplomacy, participating in only my second game ever, and I am playing as Turkey. The current game is different because there is one less player (Italy's units are holding each turn until they are all gone).

Unfortunately, I think I may have messed up already, even though it is just the first move! I moved:
-An army from Constantinople to Bulgaria
-A fleet from Ankara to Constantinople
-My army stayed still in Smyrna
-Austria-Hungary's units are in Trieste, Serbia, and the Adriatic.
-Russian units are in the Black Sea, Ukraine, St. Petersburg, and the Gulf of Bothnia.

I think my biggest mistake was to let Russia into the Black Sea. I would have liked to go into Greece or Rumania with my army, and followed it with the fleet in Constantinople. However, the Russia fleet in the Black Sea can then try to move into Ankara or Constantinople, and my army in Smyrna can only move to defend one of these, giving a 50/50 chance that I'll lose something.

So it seems like the best thing to do is just to move the army in Smyrna to Ankara, and leave the other two units still. However, this means only one new unit at the end of the turn.

The Russian player has a fickle and analytical personality, and the Austro-Hungarian player is highly suspicious, and not at all happy, because he really wanted me to go for an all out Russian attack on the first turn.

All in all, I feel highly out of my depth already. Are there any handy hints you can provide to help me play better?

Thanks
mach2

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Help with Turkish Strategy!

Postby rrmuf » 11 Jul 2012, 14:39

That seems like a great way forward!!!!

--- The Russian player. ;-)
rrmuf

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 11 Jul 2012, 14:57

It is against the rules to ask for help with active games on the forum.

As such I have deleted both posts that mentioned specific strategies.

I will however let you know that it is NORMAL for Turkey to only get 1 build.

Like England, its strong defensive positioning makes it easy to defend, therefore that is balanced by having a slower growth in year 1.

Also, there are only two reasons to move ANK-CON in Spring 01....a) you have a great relationship with Russia and are going to Jug....b) you are worried about a Lepanto with Italy....also both reasons have you move the fleet from CON-AEG, not to BUL in Fall 01...its most likely to bounce if you try and go to CON, cause GRE is almost always contested unless you have a super weak Austria.

Since B was obviously not going to happen because its a shorthanded game...and A was unlikely as you said Russia is fickle...the safest move is ALWAYS to go to BLA.

From here, do the best you can, try to hold onto BUL and your home SC...drop your new build in SMY, and you really arent THAT bad off.

Stuff like I answered is fine (and you can ask general questions)...but specific questions about what to do in specific situations is very frowned upon.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby mach2 » 11 Jul 2012, 15:13

asudevil wrote:It is against the rules to ask for help with active games on the forum.

asudevil wrote:Stuff like I answered is fine (and you can ask general questions)...but specific questions about what to do in specific situations is very frowned upon.

Apologies, I will not do so again. Thanks for your general advice!
mach2

Standard rating: (985)
All-game rating: (986)

Postby Peanut » 11 Jul 2012, 15:16

ASUDevil you are forgetting that this guy is new, you should explain the terms used:

Standard Srtategies:
Juggernaught (Jug above) - a Turkish/Russian alliance designed to steamroller West. Feared by the rest of the board. Usually favours the Russian position.

Lepanto - an Italian strategy (usually with Austria's help) whereby Italy attempts to convoy an Army to the Turkish mainland early in the game.

If you want to learn more about Opening Strategy, or just Strategies in general, this is a good place to start

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/

asudevil wrote:From here, do the best you can, try to hold onto BUL and your home SC...drop your new build in SMY, and you really arent THAT bad off.

This sounds like pretty specific advice to me?
(by the way, this isn't the best set of moves)
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Postby asudevil » 11 Jul 2012, 16:02

Sorry, forgot about new terms, but figured he could google it.

As for my advice...I didnt think it was specific...I didnt tell him HOW to do any of the stuff...and telling him to try and hold onto what he had, seemed pretty vague to me...

As for the build, I figured that SMY would be the only place he had open after fall...but I may be wrong.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Peanut » 11 Jul 2012, 17:06

Indeed you are :D
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Return to Students