Question Regarding Italy

Young people want their own special group too!

Moderators: mat.gopack, nanooktheeskimo

Forum rules
The Students group is an official Forum group. If you want to join, go to your User Control Panel and click on Usergroups. Scroll down to groups under 'Non-memberships' and apply there. The Group Leader will deal with the application when possible.

Question Regarding Italy

Postby noobii » 28 Jan 2011, 18:54

I wonder if our age difference has anything to do with our choice of nations, diplomacy, and "trick moves"

Lately after I've been playing diplomacy a lot more than usual (keeping around 15 - 20 games going. Usually 12/12/12 or 24/24/24)

I've realized either
A)I'm one hell of a good diplomat.
B)Some people are stupid
C)I play diplomacy like its chess
D)All of the above ^^^

I'm about to get 4 solos, 3 as Italy and 1 as England (The english is a chaos variant)

2 of my italian games started by gaining austrias trust, getting russia to move to gal, a DMZ with france, and turkey to support me into greece or vice versa.
I stabbed austria early on both of these, ended up tricking russia to join me and my crusade to turkey to take back Jerusalem, then i slip a fleet into the black sea and fuck up sevastopol, and take the balkans swiftly (which is very easy as Italy actually, just tell russia "hey lets head for germany" you make moves predicting what he will do or message russia fake orders that are anti-french/german and he sends you his back and then you use that to your advantage and stab russia hard and strong.) If italy has native italy, tunis, and all of russia he has 18 centers. You dont ever have to touch Germany or France until the end.

But as a preference I take to sevastopol, and attempt for spain, port, or mars. As long as i get 2/3 of them i have 18.

One game i didn't touch germany or france and left them fighting with england constantly switching sides and just wiped out austria, turkey, and russia.

Another gunboat game, England became a big dog early on, and I took out austria, then turkey, and then russia of course, hadn't really met england until we met in the mid atlantic but i took port/spain and warsaw. Due to him being in st peters i couldn't just take all of russias centers.

There are times as austria I take solos like its nothing Just a matter of talking diplomacy to all 4 neighbors and convincing them to fight, stop a jugg early, start a lepanto, just cause all chaos and hell you can and gain centers from it, by the fall you'll have an offer of support from russia, turkey or italy. And even some of them requesting support in exchange, this is how you pick your alliances up as austria.

England seems a bit tougher to get a solo out of for me than italy, due to the face France/Germany are both very weary of your production, and Germany gets greedy early but france can build in your backdoor for a drop through NAO, Irish, EC, or north sea.

I guess I'm the only one that prefers the worst nations? (italy/austria)
noobii

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Question Regarding Italy

Postby sock » 28 Jan 2011, 20:02

A man after my own heart. I think the central countries are more interesting to play. The primary challenge is that you can't be tentative at the onset. Know what you want and seize it...one of the cool things about Italy is that once you go into defense mode, your opponent needs both fleets and armies to quickly overwhelm you. Italy can be a tough nut to crack.
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1149)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Krioux » 28 Jan 2011, 22:04

I usually like to attack Russia and trick Turkey, not the other way around, but it's kind of the same thing.
Krioux

Postby noobii » 05 Feb 2011, 19:47

But why attack russia and trick Turkey?

Turkey is the one that can slip fleets behind you and be a pain.
noobii

Postby Roughly6Owls » 11 Jun 2011, 03:18

Of the three games I'm in, I was given Germany in one, and given Austria in the other two. I'm enjoying them far more than my first diplomacy game (which was FtF) in which I played England, just because I have to interact with the entire board, whereas with England (Presumably Turkey is similar, and Russia/France more similar to England than the middle countries) the only reason to talk to anyone other than France, Germany and maybe Russia is to put pressure on one of those three.
Roughly6Owls

Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Narcisism » 12 Sep 2012, 02:14

In my past Diplomacy games, I've always enjoyed playing Russia for similar reasons. You have 4 - 5 people that you have to manage relations with (Germany, Italy, Turkey, Austria, and England), and it involves a lot of give and take to keep your relations good with the people they need to be good with. Come to think of it, you might even have a need to interact with France, to see if you can convince him to put strain on England for you. So really, in one game of Diplomacy, Russia has every reason to talk to every player right at the beginning of the game. That's always fun :D
Narcisism

Return to Students