Auto-finalize on Build phase if no open Home centers

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Auto-finalize on Build phase if no open Home centers

Postby JohnFletch » 14 Sep 2017, 09:58

Even if a power has more centers than units, they can't build if they don't have an open home center, so why hold everyone back waiting for them to manually finalize? I've often seen this near the end of a power's reign, when they've been pushed off their home center, so they're grumpy and punishing the other players by not finalizing anyway but letting all times run full course. :(
JohnFletch
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1069
All-game rating: 1983
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Auto-finalize on Build phase if no open Home centers

Postby Locutus » 14 Sep 2017, 21:30

I like that suggestion.
Locutus
Premium Member

Standard rating: 954
All-game rating: 954
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby WarSmith » 14 Sep 2017, 23:24

But they are still in the game and may have valid reasons for needing the time to play out to the agreed deadlines.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith

Standard rating: 1663
All-game rating: 1701
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby GhostEcho » 15 Sep 2017, 00:58

Even as somebody who gets grumpy about pressure to finalize, this seems like an oversight. If someone can't build, there's no reason they should be able to hold the game up. Though I'm not sure I ever noticed it before - are you sure this is actually how it works, and it's not somebody blaming the mostly dead guy?
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn (Brothers in Arms)
GhostEcho

Standard rating: 980
All-game rating: 942

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 Sep 2017, 02:11

WarSmith wrote:But they are still in the game and may have valid reasons for needing the time to play out to the agreed deadlines.

(though not for the scenario described)
NoPunIn10Did
Gold Classicist & Benevolent Tyrant

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1223

Postby Bromley86 » 15 Sep 2017, 03:22

Seems like a logical suggestion. Players without a build don't get to influence when the deadline processes, and these are effectively the same.

The only thing I can think of that might need to be considered is Versailles:

Destroy / Build special case
There is a special case in the Build Phase. Because of the previous circumstance, it is possible for one country to have a unit on one of its partner's SCs even though that SC is owned by the partner. In the previous example, for instance, if Britain liberated Stockholm from Germany, there would be a British unit on Stockholm even though it is now actually owned by Sweden. In most cases this will mean Sweden cannot build a unit on that SC, because of course it is occupied. But if Britain is due to destroy a unit and Sweden is allowed to build a unit, special dispensation is given to allow the player to destroy the unit in Stockholm and then immediately build a Swedish unit there (assuming Sweden is allowed a build).

You don't want a situation where Britain destroys and finalises, and the turn progresses before Sweden can build.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1877
All-game rating: 2227
Timezone: GMT+11

Postby super_dipsy » 15 Sep 2017, 08:09

This has come up before, and the main reason for not doing it was a rather pathetic 'oh but it's harder to work out that the player has nowhere to build' which I confess is a pretty ridiculous thing to say :) . It is just laziness ;)

I was going to jump in and say I agree with the point that since I am still in the game what is wrong with me controlling the deadlines, but then that was blown away for me by the reminder that someone without builds does not get that opportunity. So at the moment, we are saying if you have builds but can't use them you can delay things, but not if you have no builds, which seems a bit silly.

The Versailles case popped into my mind too, but I think that would be OK. Although the country with the Build would have a build but no free Home SC, this special case includes the requirement that the partner country has to do a Destroy. Therefore, although the first country would initially say no finalizing is needed because the country has a build but no free home SC, the second would still require an action or a finalize and since the two countries are played by the same player, this means a finalize would still be required so all is well.

Can anyone else see any possible drawback to treating a player with builds but nowhere to build them the same as a player with no Builds? If not, I think we should do it.

Once I have finished the Preview arrows thing I am working on, I could slip this one in. I was also thinking of slipping in the change to allow a 2-player E v A variant like someone brought up recently, since this is also a pretty minor change.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Suggestions