Recruiting Mentors!

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Recruiting Mentors!

Postby Radical Pumpkin » 24 Oct 2017, 05:12

For the past few years, we've had a semi-regular series of mentor games here on Playdip, intended to help anyone who's interested get familiar with the basic rules, strategies and culture of Diplomacy. There seems to be significant demand for this resource, and in my experience, it's quite appreciated by the participants. However, due to attrition and real life busyness, the current crop of mentors can't meet the demand, and our schedule has become both more sparse and more sporadic. So, we're looking to recruit some new mentors! If you think you might be interested in mentoring, please either post here or send me a PM.

Main mentoring duties:
  • Set up a thread to recruit players for each new game. Until the next game starts, monitor your thread and keep a list of signups up to date.
  • Shepherd players into your game, both by giving detailed instructions (assume very little knowledge of the site!) and by keeping in contact throughout the process so players don't drift away.
  • Offer to answer questions, and try to keep the turnaround time low (< 24 hours, ideally < 12 hours).
  • Monitor the game, especially for the first few years, for signs of confusion or other problems (e.g., NMRs), and reach out proactively to address it.
  • Fill surrenders from our standby vet list.
  • At some point during the game, give the players some basic info about online resources, the forum, and the culture of reliability and never giving up.

You are very welcome to do most anything on top of the above (in particular, sharing whatever bits of wisdom you see fit), but those are the core expectations. I'm happy to talk about the processes in more detail if there are any questions!
Radical Pumpkin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1599
All-game rating: 1620
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Recruiting Mentors!

Postby skyblueshu » 01 Dec 2017, 23:19

I'd be keen to mentor. I haven't played much here, but I have played a lot!
skyblueshu
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1014)
All-game rating: (1014)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Recruiting Mentors!

Postby jay65536 » 19 Dec 2017, 16:51

Same here. I'd do it if you needed me.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1090