Poor sportsmanship

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Poor sportsmanship

Postby can_of_squid » 11 Sep 2015, 00:22

Question:

Is it ok for a player who doesn't think they are going to win to take all their forces and move in a suicidal way against some countries in order to let their ally gain the advantage by taking over all of their SC's? Germany for instance is attacking me in a game emptying their supply centers so England can occupy them. Is that ok to do or do you have to make an honest attempt to win?
can_of_squid

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1027)
All-game rating: (1317)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Poor sportsmanship

Postby JU10 » 11 Sep 2015, 00:35

Yeah, that is allowed. I can't point to a specific rule on this site, however, but I'm sure someone else can. But yeah, as long as the players aren't "meta-gaming", i.e. they go into the game with the purpose of colluding, that sort of play is allowed. In fact, I don't think it's that rare - it's just a fairly clear-cut version of "kingmaking", i.e. a player actively playing in a way that helps another player win (I'm using a lot of i.e's in this post...). It is really frustrating when that happens, especially when the kingmaking player doesn't really have a good reason for playing that way (e.g. you stabbed him in a brutal way / you were caught in a lie etc.) so I can feel your pain. But it's just a part of the game to try to avoid that kind of kingmaking from happening.
Platinum member of the Classicist group
JU10

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1796)
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 11 Sep 2015, 02:29

Dear can_of_squid,

Yes it is allowed & commonplace. I definitely feel your pain. Of all the tactics I've seen in 45 years at Diplomacy, I hate it the most.
There is little recourse except encourage all you can to eliminate them as fast as possible. I feel more strongly about "King-making" than "pathetic surrendering", but many consider it a very legitimate tactic & use or at least threaten it often.

Senlac
Platinum Classicist
VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1674
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby WHSeward » 11 Sep 2015, 02:45

As has been stated, there is no site rule against kingmaking. In many cases, it is a play of dubious sportsmanship.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: 1593
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby condude1 » 11 Sep 2015, 03:00

It's a VERY effective threat. Doing it is more marginal, but if you're dead anyways, it doesn't really matter. Maybe your enemy will even try to make peace with you after you start suiciding!
GM of Second Chance Mafia, Now in Day 3, and seeking reserves! Countdown Timer here.

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: 1368
All-game rating: 1307

Postby ThomM » 11 Sep 2015, 04:05

condude1 wrote:It's a VERY effective threat. Doing it is more marginal, but if you're dead anyways, it doesn't really matter. Maybe your enemy will even try to make peace with you after you start suiciding!

I have had a player do that to me effectively.
He pulled all of his forces against me, allowing Turkey to roll up his supply centers. I made peace with him before Turkey was close enough to get his solo, and we ended up with a three-way.
Only works as a threat if he can be convincing that he will carry through
and he may be better at doing that if he is really prepared to carry through.
ThomM

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1231)
All-game rating: (1253)

Postby TheRoman987 » 11 Sep 2015, 04:48

An annoying tactic, yes, but a completely legitimate one. Maybe the Kingmaker likes his ally more than you, or wants his ally to win. I've had a Kingmaker work for me and against me, so I think I can say that, while annoying at times, it is still a threat and/or tactic. You can't hate someone for doing it.
TheRoman987

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1011
All-game rating: 1015
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby can_of_squid » 11 Sep 2015, 22:41

TheRoman987 wrote:An annoying tactic, yes, but a completely legitimate one. Maybe the Kingmaker likes his ally more than you, or wants his ally to win. I've had a Kingmaker work for me and against me, so I think I can say that, while annoying at times, it is still a threat and/or tactic. You can't hate someone for doing it.

I just don't get the motivation. Guy takes over for an ally who was kicked out of the game for cheating (was later found out that he was not cheating) - the new guy for that country allies with me and then goes silent and commits suicide. No threat, no warning, no issue. Just out of the blue after I was supporting their armies. In fact, I was supporting their armies the turn they went kamikaze.

Maybe they are in another game together and he is getting some favor out of this.
can_of_squid

Standard rating: (1027)
All-game rating: (1317)

Postby WHSeward » 11 Sep 2015, 23:03

Locking this thread. can_of_squid you have asked your question and it has been answered. I will follow up by PM.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: 1593
All-game rating: 1606

Return to Site Rules