Separate accounts using the same wifi network

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Separate accounts using the same wifi network

Postby ottovonbismarck1 » 04 Apr 2015, 21:33

I have a site-use question. My sibling is interested in creating an account on the site. I'm wondering if the site will detect two accounts from the same wireless network and think the accounts are a single person using multiple accounts. Will this be a problem?
Bronze Classicist
ottovonbismarck1
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1202)
All-game rating: (1308)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Separate accounts using the same wifi network

Postby glacialice » 04 Apr 2015, 21:44

I can't speak for the Mods but I'm pretty sure that as long as the two of you avoid playing in the same games you should be fine.

If you do some how end up in the same game make sure that you use game messaging not your hallway to discuss things. As a general rule if it pertains to the site it stays on the site. Other than that you should be fine. Just make sure you stab one another now and again.
"A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip."
-Unknown
Member of the Classicists
Member of the Students.
Frisians in Excalibur
Brazil in 21st Century
glacialice

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (968)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby charliep007 » 04 Apr 2015, 21:45

Short answer (and I'm not a mod) yep it'll get flagged.

Tell your sibling to play on another dip website to save the grief (that was a kinda joke)

Of course many siblings have proven to be born on the same day and only share 2 eyes, one mouth between them as they didn't want to purchase the premium to play more than 3 games at a time... I'm sure that you and your sibling wouldn't fall into that category ;)
charliep007

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (2340)
All-game rating: (2310)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Carebear » 04 Apr 2015, 21:48

charliep007 wrote:Short answer (and I'm not a mod) yep it'll get flagged.

Tell your sibling to play on another dip website to save the grief (that was a kinda joke)

Of course many siblings have proven to be born on the same day and only share 2 eyes, one mouth between them as they didn't want to purchase the premium to play more than 3 games at a time... I'm sure that you and your sibling wouldn't fall into that category ;)

Always the cynic. :roll:
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby glacialice » 04 Apr 2015, 21:56

charliep007 wrote:Of course many siblings have proven to be born on the same day and only share 2 eyes, one mouth between them as they didn't want to purchase the premium to play more than 3 games at a time... I'm sure that you and your sibling wouldn't fall into that category ;)

I think the fact that he even asked gives him more credibility than other people who just go ahead and make another account assuming that there aren't people hunting them.
"A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip."
-Unknown
Member of the Classicists
Member of the Students.
Frisians in Excalibur
Brazil in 21st Century
glacialice

Standard rating: (968)
All-game rating: (972)

Postby ExiledAtHome » 04 Apr 2015, 21:57

I can't speak for the moderators, so take this with a grain of salt, but I can't see using the same WiFi connection alone as being an issue. Sure, it may get you and your brother looked at, but as long as no actual metagaming rules are violated I can't see why you'd get in any trouble.

Use the ingame messaging, and be sure that you and your brother behave toward each other as you would any player. I don't even think an alliance between the two of you, using the same WiFi, would be an issue if it's an organic alliance that emerges from the context of the game.

And, since you've publicly brought this to the attention of the mods, I'm sure they'll keep an eye, but I doubt they'll jump to any conclusions unless you and your brother give them additional cause.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Standard rating: 1323
All-game rating: 1545

Postby KimberStormer » 04 Apr 2015, 22:03

ottovonbismarck1 wrote:My sibling

ExiledAtHome wrote:your brother

sigh
KimberStormer

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (941)
All-game rating: (942)

Postby BGG » 04 Apr 2015, 22:05

A member of my family created an account after I did, and both accounts got flagged as suspicious. Rick Leeds emailed me asking for an explanation. I explained, and he was very understanding, letting both myself and my family continue playing.
BGG

Standard rating: (980)
All-game rating: (938)

Postby Alman » 04 Apr 2015, 22:56

You've gotten good answers for far. Let me just add some official input to what you've already heard.

It is not unheard of for people to share an IP. If you are obeying the site rules, you have nothing to worry about. It is possible that if you play a game with your sibling (brother OR sister [Kimber] :D ), that your game will get looked at, but we'll be looking for in-game messages or patterns of alliance. If you are playing as you should, there won't be an issue.
The two big issues to be really careful about are making sure that all your negotiation is in-game and that you don't treat your sibling differently (more favorably) than any other player.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
Turkey in "Blitzkrieg" PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: 1459
All-game rating: 1581

Postby ExiledAtHome » 05 Apr 2015, 00:35

KimberStorm wrote:
ottovonbismarck1 wrote: My sibling

ExiledAtHome wrote: your brother

sigh

Anything else to add, Kimber? I had thought I had seen "brother" mentioned prior to my post, but that must've just been my sexist mysogyny clouding my recollection. How egalitarian of you to notice.
Gold Classicist Member
ExiledAtHome

Standard rating: 1323
All-game rating: 1545

Next

Return to Site Rules