Anonymous Rules Question

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Anonymous Rules Question

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 11 Sep 2017, 17:00

I'm in an AncientMed game right now that is public press only and anonymous players. The game went down hill very quickly due to a player that NMR'd, forgot to make builds then surrender. So, the four remaining players are in agreement to start up a new game, we then had a 5th player join in as the surrendered country. However, it's too late, the game is going to end soon as certain powers have gained many supply due to the problems.

The five us now agreed to create a new AncientMed with a password so we could play another round without any troubles. A question was brought up: Does this action break any rule regarding Anonymous Players? If we finish the current game before we start the new one, technically the player names would be displayed on the first game and you would know who you're playing vs. in the second game.

Do we start up the 2nd game BEFORE ending the first thus not knowing ahead of time who is who? I guess, we just want to play another round of PPO AncientMed and have it Anonymous , all while not breaking any rules.

Any insight on this? am I looking into this too much?
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymous Rules Question

Postby Tarsier » 11 Sep 2017, 17:48

Dolph Shtoss wrote:I'm in an AncientMed game right now that is public press only and anonymous players. The game went down hill very quickly due to a player that NMR'd, forgot to make builds then surrender. So, the four remaining players are in agreement to start up a new game, we then had a 5th player join in as the surrendered country. However, it's too late, the game is going to end soon as certain powers have gained many supply due to the problems.

The five us now agreed to create a new AncientMed with a password so we could play another round without any troubles. A question was brought up: Does this action break any rule regarding Anonymous Players? If we finish the current game before we start the new one, technically the player names would be displayed on the first game and you would know who you're playing vs. in the second game.

Do we start up the 2nd game BEFORE ending the first thus not knowing ahead of time who is who? I guess, we just want to play another round of PPO AncientMed and have it Anonymous , all while not breaking any rules.

Any insight on this? am I looking into this too much?

Note that anonymous games prevent the system from indicating your names and the rules prevent you advertising your participation in an anonymous game on the forums, but you are allowed (unless prohibited by the rules of a specific tournament) to reveal your identity in a game, itself. From the "site rules" tab:

Players MAY claim an identity inside the game, however, as this will not be known until after the game is finished.

So, I think that in the spirit of this, if all players in your game agree to reveal identities in order to end the game and begin another one, nobody in site administration will slap your hand.

Another approach doesn't require at all that you reveal identities. One person - such as you - sets up the game with a password and then private messages it to the other players. Since you are sending to their country, you are getting them in the information they need without needing to know their actual identities.

That said, though, if you all agree the game is ruined, you also have the option of just ending the game with a draw vote and promptly beginning the next one.
Tarsier

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 2008
All-game rating: 2100
Timezone: GMT

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use